jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can flavored syrup be added to homemade frosting?

1. jenscott profile image60
    jenscottposted 7 years ago

Can flavored syrup be added to homemade frosting?

I was give a bottle of caramel-flavored syrup, the type usually used for coffee drinks.  I am making frosting with half-and-half and powdered sugar, for cupcakes. Can I add the syrup to flavor the frosting?  I have used extracts such as almond or vanilla to do so, but I wasn't sure about the syrup.  Thanks!

2. profile image0
    marellenposted 7 years ago

I don't see why not, just don't use to much and it should be just fine and good too.

3. profile image0
    WildIrisposted 7 years ago

Sure, why not use the syrup. I made a frosting with cream cheese, whipping cream, and vanilla, but I did not have powdered sugar so I use corn syrup instead.

Use the caramel-flavor syrup as you would any extract, 1 tsp. at a time until you reach your desired flavor. You may need to add more powdered sugar to compensate for additional liquid. Have fun!

4. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 7 years ago

Sure why not--but add a little, taste, add a little more etc. I think it could be overused very easily.  Sounds like it would make a good frosting.  I have used maple syrup in frosting and it made a really great maple frosting like you get on bars at the bakery.

working