jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How does one properly dismember a lobster?

1. Simone Smith profile image94
    Simone Smithposted 6 years ago

How does one properly dismember a lobster?

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

I think the trick is to make sure it's cooked - that way you are less likely to get a finger injury.  Imagine thinking dinner was served, and losing a finger! 

Gosh, I used to hang out daily at a cajun seafood bar and grill in Dallas, ya know, back when I had. . . .money; anyways, the thing is with crayfish, you need to eat after you get done eating - because you burn more calories working to get the meat out of the things than you ingest from eating them!

Got a hammer?

3. Gordon Hamilton profile image98
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 6 years ago

Carefully! It also largely depends how it was treated before cooking. Some people cut through the head before cooking as a perceived "humane" killing method.

Assuming the lobster is whole, lay it flat on its belly, on a steady, hard surface. Use a stout, rigid bladed knife - this is very important. Place the knife at the back of the head, the sharp side of the blade facing forward. Essentially, hammer the knife down through the lobster with the heel of your hand and cut forward. Turn the lobster around and use the knife facing the reverse way to cut backwards to the end of the tail. This halves the lobster.

Pull off the claws. There is a special tool for cracking the claws but if this is not available, hold the claw firmly in your weaker hand on the surface and smack the knife down hard on the edge of the claw, well away from your fingers. Twisting the knife gently will crack the claw and allow it to be opened by hand.

The meat can now be scooped out of the two lobster halves and the claws.

4. carolp profile image80
    carolpposted 6 years ago

I used the lobster tongs or cracker to brake the two hands. When i am at home, i manage to take the shell off with my hands to get the whole meat. niam..niam...

When i am in the restaurant, it is mostly prepared and served half so the guest can take the meat comfortably,