jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can I freeze ricotta with egg and mozarella lasagna filling, then defrost it and

1. At Home Mommy profile image60
    At Home Mommyposted 6 years ago

Can I freeze ricotta with egg and mozarella lasagna filling, then defrost it and make lasagna later?

I made a bunch of lasagna filling, meaning to make three lasagnas and freeze them. However, we're going on a last minute trip to see family this weekend, and I'm not going to have time to get to it.

2. Victoria Lynn profile image89
    Victoria Lynnposted 6 years ago

I think it would probably be okay. I have frozen ricotta before, and, while it changed the texture, it cooked up fine. All you can do it try it, maybe one lasagna at a time so you don't waste too many ingredients, but I bet that it would work fine.

3. aliciajfarinoli profile image59
    aliciajfarinoliposted 6 years ago

You should be able to since you technically were going to freeze it anyways. I have yet have anything I have frozen for later give me any problems. I would just stay way from any quick method of defrosting the ricotta, like microwaving or putting it in the oven under low heat. This may dry it out, making it not so eatable. Good luck and have fun visiting family!

4. PattiCal profile image59
    PattiCalposted 2 years ago

Ricotta filling is always frozen in supermarkets in products such as lasagna, shells & manicottis so there's no harm in freezing it. The texture may be a little more crumbly than the fresh, but won't affect the taste.  Freeze it in 8 oz. air tight containers or in ice cube trays which you can then transfer into freezer bags. Do not thaw on your counter. The safest way to thaw is in the refrigerator. If necessary, blend the ricotta with a spoon before use. Use the ricotta cheese in your recipe as soon as possible after thawing. Store any unused portion in the refrigerator for up to seven days. Hope this helps!