jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What are 'grits'.

1. tonymead60 profile image94
    tonymead60posted 6 years ago

What are 'grits'.

I like to watch the food channel and they are always mentioning them.

2. profile image0
    leann2800posted 6 years ago

Ground corn. Its a hot cereal like cream of wheat or oatmeal but its corn instead of wheat or oat.Its my favorite. But, eat it with salt like the south not sugar and chocolate. I don't recommend that.

3. profile image0
    stessilyposted 6 years ago

Tony, I love this question cuz I love hominy grits! My father spent part of his childhood in Florida so this midwestern girl grew up very familiar with certain southern favorites. Grits are made from corn or hominy. The usual preparation is reminiscent of oatmeal in that dried grits are diluted with water and boiled. I know that they also may be fried. I like hominy grits straight up, sometimes with butter. Fans have all kinds of grit rituals; I've blocked out some of the strange combinations (which detract from the grits) but I've heard of peanut butter! Nothing comes between me and my buttery hominy grits.

4. ithabise profile image84
    ithabiseposted 6 years ago

Really? (Wow.) Well imagine bringing home a bag of sand from the beach, putting it in water and boiling it for about ten minutes; then taking it out and putting butter and anything more you want in it. That's it: sand in the mouth.

5. tonymead60 profile image94
    tonymead60posted 6 years ago

Okay, I think it must be a little like semolina, but made from a course cornmeal.
    many thanks for your help, it's funny what can niggle you.

6. cobrien profile image76
    cobrienposted 6 years ago

Grits are dried ground corn granules cooked like a cereal and served with butter and sugar or salt and pepper.

7. Gaizy profile image83
    Gaizyposted 6 years ago

I'm guessing that this is a corruption of the English word "Grist" which means corn that is ready for grinding, or corn that has just been ground -  as in the saying "it's all grist to the mill"