jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think parents should be working harder on keeping their kids fit and heal

1. smzclark profile image59
    smzclarkposted 6 years ago

Do you think parents should be working harder on keeping their kids fit and healthy?

whatever happened to carrot sticks, cucumber slices, apple slices, dried fruit, non-sugared cereals, nuts, seeds, brown toast and nature walks?...i think i'll write a hub on this one!

2. Cuisine profile image60
    Cuisineposted 6 years ago

Well, certainly I believe that every responsible parents want good health for their kids.  I, for one, would very much want my kids to be fit and healthy at all times.  However, all of these assurances would have to depend on many factors; for example: Do parents have the free time to spend time with their kids for physical activities (outside the home)?  Nowadays, with both parents working, hardly would they have time to do so.  Can they afford to send their kids to a camp for school vacation activities? Some parents may have mortgage commitments.  Are most parents educated enough about healthy eating habits for their kids?  Some parents are not aware of such good recipes about good and healthy eating habits and so forth.

So my reply to this question is, concern parents should start reading or googling about how they can help their kids to have a fit and healthy lifestyle; and NOT working harder (in term of $$$), but I guess working WISER without having to spend that $$$ to keep their kids fit and healthy.

3. athena2011 profile image55
    athena2011posted 6 years ago

I think we all try to do our best within the constraints of our lives. The majority of parents want the best for their kids and operate based on their own upbringing and what they learned growing up.

It is possible that some parents were not raised themselves with healthy eating habits and getting exercise so they do not know how to pass that on to their kids.

4. TwoCooks profile image58
    TwoCooksposted 6 years ago

Yes! I definitely think that it's up to us as parents to raise a healthy child. A while ago we went to one of those parades where the high schools show marching bands, and dance classes, the mayor drives in the car, and girl scouts, etc. All that good stuff. As we watched though, we began to notice that nearly all the children were overweight or nearly overweight. I remember when I was younger and that wasn't the case, the heavier kids were only a small percentage. This is an obvious sign to me that parents are letting their kids get more and more unhealthy. My husband and I are definitely trying to raise our daughter with eating healthy foods, and not fast food, etc.