What can you tell me about Apricots? What are the health benefits of Apricots?

1. JohnM profile image60
    JohnMposted 6 years ago

What can you tell me about Apricots? What are the health benefits of Apricots?

2. crazyhorsesghost profile image76
    crazyhorsesghostposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6185236_f260.jpg

John apricots are usually the first fruit of the summer season. The apricot is closely related to the peach and in one ounce of apricots there are enough beta-carotene to supply 20 percent of your daily Vitamin A requirement. Apricots were a favorite food of the astronauts on the Apollo Moon Mission.

Did you know that apricots were first grown in China over 4,000 years ago and they were brought to California by the Spanish in the late 18th century.

California is still the largest producer of apricots with over half the apricots being grown being canned due to the short growing season.

Apricots will ripen quickly at room temperature and then they must be refrigerated or used.

It is so hard to find a fresh apricot because apricots are mostly grown on 17,000 acres in the Santa Clara Valley in California. They were first intorduced by Spanish Missionaries in the 1700's when they were establishing their missions along the California coast regions. Because apricots are so fragile and bruise very easily they do not transport easily or last very long when they are ripe.

Do you know that barely 5 percent of the citizens of the USA have ever tasted a fresh ripe Apricot.

Health Benefits of Apricots

Apricots contain a high level of iron making it a beneficial fruit in case of anemia, TB, asthma, and blood impurities. Apricots may also be beneficial in destroying intestinal worms, reliving diarrhea and may even cure acne. 

The apricot is a small fruit that resembles a peach only it is smaller. The apricot has pale yellow to burnt-orange skin , a golden meaty flesh, and an almond shaped pit. Its flavor is quite similar to a peach but it has a slight hint of lemon. You can find fresh apricots in June and July. Canned apricots and dried apricots and apricot nectar are always available. Fresh apricots should be eaten or used as soon as possible.

You can try making a apricot cobbler out of canned apricots and I bet you will love it.

working