jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Does anyone know some great alternative ingredients when baking to stay vegan?(b

1. ashatt profile image69
    ashattposted 6 years ago

Does anyone know some great alternative ingredients when baking to stay vegan?(besides apple sauce?)

I have a side baking business and I have a woman who is interested in some of my stuff, but she is strictly vegan!

2. modgirlok profile image61
    modgirlokposted 6 years ago

Flax seeds blended with water are a great egg alternative in darker or richer baked goods- especially breads and chocolate. Also, keep in mind that most sugar isn't vegan as it is processed with bone char.

3. Faceless39 profile image94
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

I totally agree with Modgirlok about the flax meal blended with water--it's waaaay better than using Egg-Replacer brand powder.  Go with unprocessed sugars (like sucanat.)  Also, the best margarine I've found is EarthBalance (organic.)  Check the labels.  Use natural mineral sea salt, and aluminum-free baking soda/powders.  Good luck!

4. Daughter Of Maat profile image95
    Daughter Of Maatposted 6 years ago

The best info I can give you on this, it to get the book Engine 2 Diet by Rip Esselstyn. He has lived a "plant-strong" diet since he was an athlete in his 20's. And his father Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, MD pioneered the plant strong diet with all of his research.

Rip recommends, and I quote from his book: "Replace ordinary sugar with agave nectar, pure maple syrup, sucanat, turbinado sugar, blackstrap molasses, unrefined darks brown sugar, xylitol, fruit juice, mashed bananas, or applesauce."

In regards to butter and margarine, he states in his documentary "The Engine 2 Diet: Kitchen Rescue" that earth balance is NOT vegan. The book recommends: "Try sliced bananas and fruit and no-oil-added nut butters on toast in place of butter. Use blended Silken Lite soft tofu in recipes in place of sour cream and milk."

When I bake, I use almond milk, and either applesauce or bananas to replace milk and butter/eggs. I use agave nectar in place of refined sugar, it's much sweeter than refined sugar.

I don't use refined white flour either, I use only whole wheat flour.

5. LupitaRonquillo profile image78
    LupitaRonquilloposted 5 years ago

Veganbaking.net is a great website baking completely vegan...
    http://veganbaking.net/vegan-baking-articles/tips

working