jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do food lose nutritional quality when microwaved?

1. BlissfulWriter profile image65
    BlissfulWriterposted 6 years ago

Do food lose nutritional quality when microwaved?

2. Silver Fish profile image83
    Silver Fishposted 6 years ago

Some I think, but it has to be compared to other cooking methods.
    Microwave cooking is quick and uses little water, so can be a nutritious option.

3. backporchstories profile image80
    backporchstoriesposted 6 years ago

I use to be an avid microwaver, but it lost its quick luster when I realized that the food cools down as quickly as it heats up!  We make herbal tea and medicines here at our home and the number one lesson we teach is to never, never, never use a microwave for boiling the water.  It is no longer just heated water, but heated "radiated" water.  According to the "officials", there is a small but safe amount of radition when microwaved.  However, there is still some restructuring of the product that, by being heated with radiation, may no longer lends its character to the possible benefits that could be reaped.  So if medicinal herbs can lose some of their value through microwave process then why not food?

4. fitmom profile image83
    fitmomposted 6 years ago

I wouldn't worry too much about what the food loses compared to what the food has gained- radiation, that is. I used to use the microwave a lot until I read more about it. I hardly ever use it now. One great thing about not using a microwave is not having to clean the microwave.  smile

5. emimemo profile image80
    emimemoposted 6 years ago

I do have a microwave down in the basement.... I do not use them anymore.
    Reason:
    1. 8 years ago, my husband told me not to open the microwave oven door 30 seconds after the use, because the radiation is still bouncing around.
    2. 3 years ago, my husband heard the story about the radiation will change the food’s DNA and if you eat the food, the body won't recognize as food anymore and you get more high cholesterol.
    I can’t proof this but I am ok with not using the microwave. I have got used to it.

6. networmed profile image60
    networmedposted 6 years ago

@backporchstories
    That is an interesting information. That triggers my interest to research more about. It's on my note at this time...

working