jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What can we do with peter peppers?

1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 6 years ago

What can we do with peter peppers?

So we plant different peppers each year that I use for cooking and pickling. This year my husband found the Peter Pepper a funny idea and they are growing well however I have read horror stories of them burning peoples eyes and skin. Can I do anything with these or are they a waste?

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image95
    mistyhorizon2003posted 6 years ago

I wrote an article about Peter Peppers which used to be on HP before I moved it to my own vegetable growing website. They actually have an excellent flavour and are great for cooking with. Just use an element of common sense when handling them, like washing your hands and under your nails thoroughly afterwards.  You can always wear rubber gloves when chopping them, (although my Hubby didn't and suffered no blistering or ill effects). As for your eyes, well again so long as you wash your hands thoroughly before rubbing your eyes you should be fine. My article can be read here: http://grow-vegetables-at-home.com/how- … per-penis/

3. Mary Stuart profile image80
    Mary Stuartposted 6 years ago

I thought Peter Piper had pickled peppers! I would suggest pickling the peppers. Be careful  when you handle them. Wear latex gloves when you pick and wash them and do not touch your face! When you have stuffed them into jars and then you can take off the gloves and wash your hands thoroughly. Fill the jars with vinegar and seal them in a water bath. Let the jarred peppers sit in a darkened pantry or cupboard for 2 months and then use the hot vinegar to season most anything that could use a little zing. The key to protecting yourself from burns is to wear gloves when handling the peppers and to wash your hands before touching your face.

4. SmartAndFun profile image97
    SmartAndFunposted 6 years ago

I have never heard of peter peppers! But when I chop jalapenos, I put a plastic sandwhich bag over the hand that holds the pepper, and when I'm finished chopping, I let it fall off my hand into the trash so I don't have to touch it.

Let us know what you end up making... write a recipe hub about it!

working