jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

What are some good ways to use the spice turmeric?

1. Victoria Lynn profile image91
    Victoria Lynnposted 5 years ago

What are some good ways to use the spice turmeric?

I've heard that turmeric is healthy? Do you have some good recipes for turmeric? Are there other ways to use turmeric besides on food?

2. Brandon E Newman profile image69
    Brandon E Newmanposted 5 years ago

I know that it is a key ingredient in curry powder, it tastes sort of bitter, and is very yellow. I guess you could make a sort of dye out of it and dye things. Eggs, curtains, T-shirts. You could rub it on the skin as a natural insect repellent (I haven't tried this, but who knows- it might just work). To get the health benefit, which I believe is as an antioxidant, it must be ingested.

3. Matthew Kirk profile image81
    Matthew Kirkposted 5 years ago

Pop 1 1/2 tablespoons into your rice water just after you put the rice in and it will turn yellow by the time you take it out

4. watergeek profile image98
    watergeekposted 5 years ago

Turmeric is supposed to be good for liver function. Whether or not this works, I like the taste, so here is how I use it: Mix 2 tablespoons of peanut butter with a bowl of rich, plain yogurt. Add 1/2 tablespoon of turmeric and blend thoroughly.

5. KrisL profile image83
    KrisLposted 5 years ago

Yes, you can use turmeric -- and lots of other foods!  -- to dye eggs.
    See http://chemistry.about.com/od/holidayho … ggdyes.htm

I have also taken turmeric extract in capsules as an anti-inflammatory and it seems to work.

Turmeric is good in lentil soup, with red split lentils or brown lentils. Cook up a cup of lentils in 3-4 cups water. Sautee 1 tsp to 1 tbs turmeric in oil with a tbs of chopped garlic, turmeric, and 1-2 tsp each ground coriander and cumin, plus an optional 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper -- or a tbs of fresh curry poweder -- add to the cooked lentils, and finish with salt and lemon/lime juice to taste.

6. anglnwu profile image89
    anglnwuposted 5 years ago

It's definintely a good spice to have in the kitchen. I keep a stash of fresh turmeric in my freezer and when I feel hardworking, I would blend it with a bunch of other spices to make my own fresh curry.  However, you can also buy curry powder to make curry--it  already has turmeric. You can also use turmeric powder to marinate meat or fish. It gives it a nice yellow color, plus, it's very healthy. Simply mix a teaspoon of turmeric with some  salt and season food--that's the simple way. There are other ingredients you can add to turmeric to make a good seasoning blend e.g. coconut milk, cayenne, honey, coriander, salt and fish sauce to make satay (commonly served in Thai restaurant). In Asian cuisines, it is also added to soup to give a nice color. You can also use it in stir-fry.

Other than food, some people use turmeric (especially blended fresh ones--they're called yellow ginger in my culture) as a face mask.I've seen Indian woman walking around with a yellow tinct to their face--I've been told they use turmeric.  I'm not sure why--I think it's because of its antiviral effect--to treat acne, perhaps.

7. Riverfish24 profile image82
    Riverfish24posted 5 years ago

Would you believe it if I said I have a Hub in work about Turmeric  smile ?

Anyways, yes it is very healthy and is used everyday in Indian food cooking. It has multiple uses and beneficial effects, it is believed to even prevent Alzheimers disease. People consume it when they are sick to recover soon, they apply the turmeric paste on their faces for a clear complexion, it is used in most Indian religious ceremonies and is also known to keep insects or ants at bay.

8. joanwz profile image75
    joanwzposted 5 years ago

I add it to my chicken soup, makes the broth really rich flavored. It's also good when added with saffron to make saffron rice.

9. Cardia profile image95
    Cardiaposted 5 years ago

You can mix powdered turmeric and water, and you can use this mixture to add some colour to puff pastries, especially if they're meat, cheese or vegetable patties or something savoury.

10. jgwhite66 profile image83
    jgwhite66posted 4 years ago

You can use turmeric as part of a spice mix that can be added to curries. You can also use it to add colour to pilau rice when cooking, adding turmeric is a less expensive way to colour rice than using saffron.