jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

What is so special about steel cut oats?

1. Pamela N Red profile image85
    Pamela N Redposted 5 years ago

What is so special about steel cut oats?

Why steel? I've seen this at health food stores and just wondered what was better about this process than whole oats.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6575707_f260.jpg

2. Pamela99 profile image89
    Pamela99posted 5 years ago

While steel oats are less processed as I understand it they are not much more beneficial than regular oats.

1. teaches12345 profile image93
      teaches12345posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree that they are less processed and they are a bit healthier than regular oats. I believe that they easier to digest as well.

3. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

There is a perception that they are healthier, but I don't know why that would be.  They do have a chewier texture and a slightly nutty flavor; however, I personally prefer the creamier texture of standard rolled oats.

4. William157 profile image76
    William157posted 5 years ago

The big difference is when you're comparing steel-cut oats to rolled oats. Rolled oats are the more common and popular variant, named as such because of the process by which the kernel is flattened, steamed and roasted. This makes it extremely easy to eat and digest. Not to mention it cooks quickly.

Steel-cut, however, is much harder to cook, eat and digest. This prolonged digestion leads to many more nutrients absorbed, simply because of the time the oats spend in your body.

The differences are pretty minor.

Source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/45562 … lled-oats/

5. Turtlewoman profile image94
    Turtlewomanposted 5 years ago

In this article you will learn the difference between steel cut oats VS rolled oats. What is the steel cut oats nutrition? Which oatmeal taste better and is healthier? read more

6. profile image0
    susanm23bposted 5 years ago

I don't think that one is more healthy than the other.  I just like the flavor more.  They have a nutty flavor and chewy texture.  I like both rolled and steel cut oats.  I try to eat oatmeal often and having more than one option is helpful.

working