What is so special about whiskey?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)
  1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

What is so special about whiskey?

I do not drink. I hear songs most of which sing about whiskey. Even more than beer. I wondered why: Does it have better flavor? Lower price? or something else?

2. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 9 years ago

First of all, being a Scot, we would never use the letter "e" in our whisky. That is vitally important. "Whiskey" is Irish... Whisky is such an integral part of life in rural Scotland. It's hard to describe if you've never experienced it. It affords the taste of the wind, the sea, the people and the life. It brings heat in the Winter and cool comfort in the Summer. It brings peace and pleasure when times are hard or not so good. It unites different factions in Scotland (especially in modern times) and affords hope for the future. Whisky is the uisque beatha - the water of life...

The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well since these are country songs by true Georgians I doubt that they are Scot or Irish. I do not think that sounds like it. Thanks.
      Knowing nothing about it though I may be wrong.

2. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm well aware that perception of whisky in the US is very different. It's a little bit hard to compare. Regardless, I hope you enjoy whatever product you happen to be sampling, take time to figure its origins and make the most of it! smile

3. The Examiner-1 profile image60

I am not drinking any. I only wondered about the songs. Thanks again.

3. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

Kevin, so many different countries make their own version of whiskey/whisky so it seems quite universally popular. beer is generally the cheapest alcohol and also the worst tasting I think...well next to ouzo and the like, Bourbon is another form of whiskey. Maybe it's popular in song because it is easy to rhyme with.

Thank you John the rhyming seems to makes sense. I will listen closer to the songs and see.

4. Randall Guinn profile image66
    Randall Guinnposted 9 years ago

I have drank a few times in my youth, but in no way condone it. However, whiskey has played a big part in America. There was a time when corn whiskey was one of America's largest exports. The farmer's not only got more money by turning their corn crops into whiskey, but they didn't have to worry about it spoiling on them. As for no Scots or Irish in Georgia, there's a huge number of Irish and Scott  Americans there, and the old countrie's traditions do not die so easily.
    When I was younger, I would often see the adult men gathering together to share a swig, and many folks had a jug of home brew stashed away somewhere. There wasn't much for enterainment back then, and whiskey was one of the things that brought people together for socializing. They would get a bit tipsy and pretend that there was more to life for a while, than what their hard and meager life truly offered.
    Today we complain about 300 channels on TV and nothings on, but back then if you were lucky enough to have a TV, you most likely only had one channel to watch. Of course there were no video games or internet, so people had to find intertainment in any way they could. Todays bar scene is altogether a different experience.
    I believe that George Washington was the largest producer of whiskey for a single individual.
    Again, by no means do I condone it. When I was a teenager I became very ill from drinking moonshine. Some people would use car radiators for the cooling coils on the still, and people would end up getting lead poisoning from it. I don't know if that is what happened to me, or not.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)