jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Why do Vegetarians eat faux meat?

1. lyndaroux profile image60
    lyndarouxposted 5 years ago

Why do Vegetarians eat faux meat?

I find this odd, we choose to become a vegan so that an animals life is spared. I chose to become vegan because I find it disgusting to consume another being, or that I'm eating a dead carcus! So why eat faux meat? Makes no sense.

2. eternals3ptember profile image60
    eternals3ptemberposted 5 years ago

Usually healthier, more humane and less bloody.

1. lyndaroux profile image60
      lyndarouxposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I thank all whom commented on my question "Why eat Faux Meat" All of your comments are sensible and accurate to each individual needs. It still confusses me though. I get pleanty of good healthy protien and nutrients without fake meat.

3. Anthropophobia profile image88
    Anthropophobiaposted 5 years ago

I became a vegetarian because of the fact that animal production, particularly by intensive agriculture, is environmentally unsustainable.
    One-third of fossil fuels used in the United States are used purely for animal agriculture and 2.9 million acres of rainforest land was cut down, in a year, to either keep livestock or grow crops that will feed factory farmed animals.
    So, getting back onto why I personally eat faux meat, it is because:
    1) I'm not a vegetarian because I 'find it disgusting to consume another being' or because I have anything against eating a 'dead carcus', it is for environmental reasons, so therefore eating faux meat does not affect me.
    2) It gives me the protein that I wouldn't otherwise have in my diet.
    3) Learning/cooking a whole new repertoire of recipes because I've given up meat is just time consuming and pointless, why not just throw some fake meat into something instead of actual meat? It's a good substitute.

4. HarperDavis profile image59
    HarperDavisposted 5 years ago

I don't consume faux meat. I've never really liked real meat, so the stuff really doesn't do anything for me.

5. Jack Burton profile image84
    Jack Burtonposted 5 years ago

As a certified meatatarian I have wondered about this for years. Why dress protein up and call it "faux bacon"? Or have a Thanksgiving meal with the main dish shaped like a turkey? Or have pretend "chicken nuggets" made from mushroom that look and feel like you bought them from McDonalds?

I'll happily serve a vegetarian dish to my daughter in law when she comes over. It has raised the challenge to my cooking skills, and I have mastered the art of cooking without meat. But I don't cook one thing, and pretend it is another.

working