jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

What "lost" recipe are you looking for?

1. CookingAnnie profile image74
    CookingAnnieposted 5 years ago

What "lost" recipe are you looking for?

Everybody ha a favorite dish from childhood or that you tried somewhere once. Something that you loved but can only remember a few ingredients for. MIne was for my grandmother's pumpkin cookies for which I now have the recipe. I'd like to try and help find those "lost" recipes for people and post them.

2. sangre profile image96
    sangreposted 5 years ago

My late grandmother used to make this type of soda bread. The thing was even though I have tried to make it using recipes I've found, it still doesn't taste the same.  I think there was just something else she added.

CookingAnnieposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have several old recipes for different types of soda breads. I'll post some over the next couple of days and hopefully one of them  is the one you are looking for. If you don't mind me asking, what was your grandmother's heritage (Irish, etc.)?

3. LGrey profile image60
    LGreyposted 5 years ago

My grandmother used to make red velvet cake, but instead of the cream cheese icing it was another type of icing. I think it was made out of crisco or shortening, but I could be wrong. I just know it wasn't cream cheese icing like on other red velvet cakes. It was the best cake in the world, but it seems no one in my family has a copy of the icing recipe. If you have any idea what type of icing that was or where I could find the recipe I would be very grateful.

I might very well have it or a t least one close. Let me dig around and I'll post it when I find it. There might be a few versions, I post what I find.

2. LGrey profile image60
      LGreyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much. That would be great if you can find something even similar.

4. Diane Woodson profile image60
    Diane Woodsonposted 5 years ago

My Great-grandmother who would be over 120 years old by now, made the best things, called tea-cakes. She always had those when we went to see her on Saturdays when I was a little girl. I have wished I knew how to make them for years. My Mother doesn't know how, so that leaves me kind of stuck. Thanks

I am familiar with tea cakes and haven't had them for years. I'll dig around in my recipe collection and see what I can find.

working