jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Are probiotics like Activia yogurt safe for adults of all ages to eat every day?

1. brakel2 profile image81
    brakel2posted 5 years ago

Are probiotics like Activia yogurt safe for adults of all ages to eat every day?  Any side effects?

Have you seen any studies to prove this?

2. MickS profile image69
    MickSposted 5 years ago

The health safety nannies have got their hooks into everything, I would imagine that if it wasn't safe they would have enforced a warning.

3. Steven Gray profile image84
    Steven Grayposted 5 years ago

Probiotics, in the form of yogurts, kefirs and fermented vegetables and teas are excellent for stomach health.  A serving or two a day is very healthy. 

Probiotics are a great way to keep your gut flora healthy and strengthen immune system strong.
    Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride has written extensively on the subject of GAPS (Gut and Psychology Syndrome) and how important it is to one's overall health to have healthy gut flora.

I would, however, not recommend Activia as a daily source of probiotics.  Most brand-name yogurts contain large amounts of unnecessary sweeteners and unnatural ingredients.  Opt instead for full-fat organic yogurts, or even try making your own yogurt or kefir.

There are many other ways to take in probiotics; the variety is actually quite diverse.  GT's Synergy kombucha tea is extremely healthy and good for the stomach, and kombucha is very easy to make at home.
    Even quality sauerkraut or Korean kimchi can have great probiotic benefits.

4. dannelmarchese profile image60
    dannelmarcheseposted 5 years ago

Yes and no. Be careful. Honestly- anything not done in moderation is not safe. It's a big boost in dietary fiber. I started taking dietary fiber supplements at around 20 years old because of colon problems that were obviously very premature. I overcompensated however and ended up wrecking myself by taking way too much. So in short- one activia yogurt with breakfast should be just fine, but dietary fiber is something where you have to monitor the intake very carefully.

working