jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How do you prepare and eat a starfruit?

1. GALAXY 59 profile image92
    GALAXY 59posted 5 years ago

How do you prepare and eat a starfruit?

2. DrMark1961 profile image99
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

We just wash them and eat them in salad, sliced like a cucumber. They are also popular here now when used in fruit smoothies. There is some concern about the negative aspects as they contain oxalic acid and if the person eating the fruit has any kidney problems they are toxic.

3. novascotiamiss profile image85
    novascotiamissposted 5 years ago

It's very simpe. Just wash it thoroughly and cut into thin slices. Very pretty in salads or as a garnish as it looks like a star. I usuallly use it during the Christmas season as it's so pretty. Not much taste though.

4. neildabb profile image74
    neildabbposted 5 years ago

I've always eaten them raw, with the only preparation being slicing them.  It seems to me that you should make sure that you slice them so that they look like a star.  The flavor is rather subtle, but good on a fruit tray.

5. Handicapped Chef profile image79
    Handicapped Chefposted 5 years ago

Starfruit is a tropical fruit that comes from places like Thailand and southeast Asia, and is a good source of Vitamin C. Starfruit are ripe when they are a bright yellow color with some green tinges, with firm flesh. Although it is great to eat fresh, just slice and eat, there are some recipes where you can use it in sauces and salads.