jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is Cambodian food like?

1. Anishpat profile image81
    Anishpatposted 5 years ago

What is Cambodian food like?

When visiting Cambodia, what are some of the best dishes that one should try out?

2. mackyi profile image66
    mackyiposted 5 years ago

Khmer cuisine, is another way to describe Cambodian Cuisine, which is similar to the food of neighboring Thailand. The main staple -- rice, is eaten practically every day(throughout the day). Rice is often serve with a slice of tropical fruit like mango and coconut milk. There are different ways of preparing rice in Cambodia. For example, they are famous for rice noodle soup, or rice porridge, deep-fried rice cakes with chives and spinach for breakfast. Grilled freshwater fish, with an assortment of seasonal herbs, plus salad and vegetables are also served with rice. There is also a popular snake soup and many other different dishes!

3. LauraGT profile image91
    LauraGTposted 5 years ago

I travelled to Cambodia in 2004 and LOVED he food.  I would say it's a cousin of thai food, but much more subtle flavors - not as spicy, but somehow deeper flavors. I don't remember specific names of dishes, but do remember savoring wonderful, warm soup dishes.  Enjoy!

4. LA Chef profile image61
    LA Chefposted 5 years ago

Here there are many interesting and traditional dishes!
    If you want you can read...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambodian_cuisine

5. FreezeFrame34 profile image77
    FreezeFrame34posted 5 years ago

I have a friend whose family moved to the US from Cambodia. The food they prepared was remarkable. I don't remember any specific names but I do recall rice at every meal. I remember one occasion the mother actually cried because I said I wasn't hungry (I seriously ate a huge meal before I got to their house). She took me saying "no thanks", as an insult to her cooking! I just remember making a plate to appease her; I felt terrible that she thought I didn't like her amazing food because I said I wasn't hungry.

I quickly learned to not eat before I went to their house so I wouldn't make them sad sad

working