jump to last post 1-22 of 22 discussions (22 posts)

What food you used to eat when you were a child still makes you smile?

1. MSantana profile image44
    MSantanaposted 6 years ago

What food you used to eat when you were a child still makes you smile?

People use to think of comfort food as main dishes, but there are a lot of desserts, beverages, or even fruits that we associate strongly with a happy childhood. I am not too attach to the main dishes, but there is a tea that grandma used to make that always lighten my days, and when I see certain fruits at the grocery store, and they 'are just right', I just can't let them pass on. What is your story?

2. ytsenoh profile image87
    ytsenohposted 6 years ago

Homemade ice cream, popcorn made off the stove, fried chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy and sweet tea--all comfort food items that fill the tummy and ease the heart.

3. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 6 years ago

I was a child during post WWII rationing, my mum used to make a stew from a can of SPAM, she used to call it 'poison meat stew.'

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Pancakes!  Loved my mom's Bisquick pancakes.  We used clear Karo syrup but if we were out of that my mom made something homemade that she laughed at, but I thought it was wonderful. I think she just melted butter and sugar together, it was thin, but I loved it.

5. profile image0
    bri36posted 6 years ago

For me it's a breakfast dish that my Grandmother made, kinda like an omelet but with fried potatoes, onions, bell pepper mixed in. Every chance I get or if I spend the night with friends this is what I make for them in return for their friendship. Nana put so much stuff in there that you didn't have to eat lunch until 3:00. It was great")

6. Claudia Tello profile image77
    Claudia Telloposted 6 years ago

Peanut butter! I love 100% peanut butter spread on a nice warm toast (that way it sort of melts while your spreading it). It has to be just peanut with a bit of salt, no honey and no sugar what so ever (this actually ruins it for me), and if it is chunky even better. Now a days I eat it with Ezekiel 4:9 sprout bread: very healthy, very delicious, very happy treat.

7. Attikos profile image80
    Attikosposted 6 years ago

Liver. I smile because, as an adult, I can just say no.

8. smzclark profile image60
    smzclarkposted 6 years ago

Most of the ones that make me smile now, didn't make me smile when I was a kid. Like my mom's lentil soup; I used to hate it and she made it far too often. Now I love it, miss it and wish I knew how to make it myself.

9. profile image0
    jasper420posted 6 years ago

My taste has changed alot but one thing that hasent is my love for my mothers french fries pork chops and sweet tea!

10. Crochetliens profile image71
    Crochetliensposted 6 years ago

Boo Berry Cereal and Spaghettio's and Franks big_smile

11. ishwaryaa22 profile image88
    ishwaryaa22posted 6 years ago

When I was a child, I was not as healthy as I am today, thanks to my mom who helped me build a strong immune system over a period of time. As a kid, I was not advised to eat certain food that most kids enjoy- ice-cream, pizza, tomato-sauce,yoghurt etc. However, my devoted mom made tasty food to compensate for the fast food at home- tasty veg patties, potato-fry, peas, carrots, beans and cabbage each made into a dry and tasty cooked dish with bit of coconut, home-made Indian desserts- carrot-pudding, sweet pancakes, etc and tasty non-veg food such as egg-omelette, chicken curry, fish fry, Indian lamb-rice dish, mince lamb gravy with spinach and prawn gravy. These dishes were carefully prepared with select ingredients that did not affect my health by my mother ( long ago I was advised not to eat tomatoes or onions in food-dishes) and hence over a period of time, I built a healthy and resistant system and now able to eat many food like pizzas, burgers, lasagnas, and many more with tomatoes and onions in them. I still relish the memories of tasty childhood food cooked by my beloved mother!

Additionally, my two late great-grandmothers who were considered as the best cooks in my entire family clan, cooked many memorable dishes, particularly South-Indian non-veg dishes that I enjoyed immensely during my childhood.

12. thebiologyofleah profile image92
    thebiologyofleahposted 6 years ago

My female relatives were not big into cooking, so I don't have many childhood memories of family cooking. My favorites from childhood that I still love are macaroni and cheese, the store bought box, usually the supermarket's generic version of kraft mac n' cheese. And 'kiddie' cereal, the good sugary stuff- Lucky Charms, Cookie Crisp, Golden Grahams etc.  I will never be too old to eat kiddie cereal!

13. alifeofdesign profile image93
    alifeofdesignposted 6 years ago

Even as a child, my family opted for healthier foods. There was the occasional treat in our home and one of those treats was devil dogs.

Now, as an adult, I still choose a healthier foods and as a former chef my palette is extremely varied. Yet, there is still the lure of the devil dog!

14. sonia love me1 profile image52
    sonia love me1posted 6 years ago

ice cream cuz its cold sweet and i can have it any time tongue lol

15. ACV profile image61
    ACVposted 6 years ago

Simple made grilled "native" chicken is my most favorite food with "brown" rice when I was a child by my grandma. I grew up with her. She died 8 years ago but until now I always love to remember how she do it and how she wake me up in the morning and feed me- and until now it is still my favorite food/vian that goes with the rice.

16. petersavage profile image60
    petersavageposted 6 years ago

Passion fruit - I can't get enough. I used to have it only as a "treat" when I was a youngster.

17. Mary Stuart profile image80
    Mary Stuartposted 6 years ago

Grilled cheese sandwiches... chicken noodle soup... cookies hot out of the oven... apples... peaches fresh off the tree... I love to eat. Most every food makes me smile except olives and mushrooms. They make me gag.

18. Mageplasm profile image60
    Mageplasmposted 6 years ago

Pizza, definitely. I know....everyone likes to say pizza, but it's true! It's one of the most interesting and tasty things ever created!

19. prism3x profile image37
    prism3xposted 6 years ago

Popcorn, grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup, spaghetti,strawberry shortcake!  My Grandmother would serve strawberry shortcake with berries from her garden, homemade shortcake and fresh whipped cream from the farm....it was beyond the telling!!!

20. Turtlewoman profile image94
    Turtlewomanposted 6 years ago

How to make your own healthy homemade strawberry Pop Tarts. Easy directions with a lot of pictures. read more

21. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

as a lunch treat, I used to like Franco-American canned spaghetti.
    it doesn't seem the same since the company sold out to Campbell's.

22. MSantana profile image44
    MSantanaposted 5 years ago

I want to thank you all for contributing answers to this question. It has been a joy of a reading. I asked it to learn about other people, because, food connects us deeply to our roots, our homes, and tells a story about who we are.

working