jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is the food you eat when traveling more or less healthy than you typically eat a

1. Written Up profile image74
    Written Upposted 5 years ago

Is the food you eat when traveling more or less healthy than you typically eat at home?

2. Li Galo profile image76
    Li Galoposted 5 years ago

I'm a travel writer and my three kids travel with me all over the world.  I have eaten well in the middle of the desert, the middle of Wyoming (an isolated land mass), in Mexico, in Canada, overseas, in the Middle East, in the Far East, etc.  When you're on the road for 4-6 months at a stretch, like I am, it's crucial to feed your children well because (a) you DON'T want to be sick far from home and (b) it's an injustice to cheat your child of a healthy diet for their growing bodies. 

To maintain balance, have proteins, vegetables, and grains, in the same proportions you normally eat them at home.  This assumes, of course, that you normally eat them in healthy proportions. It's true that in some places, I won't find organic foods, as I prefer to eat.  However, that doesn't mean I won't find farmer's stands on the side of the road with fresh fruits and vegetables, that I can't visit a meat market for fish caught a few hours prior, or to choose modest priced restaurants (over fast food) that serve healthy choices, like grilled meats with vegetables or salads.  In some areas, my kids have learned to eat foods that are very different from what we serve in America, such as in places with spicy foods or where people eat foods less common in the states, like octopus.  Because of these food experiences, my kids associate travel with new food adventures and look forward to it.  So, yes, it's always possible to eat well on the road.  Like at home, it's merely a choice.

3. Chef Damien profile image60
    Chef Damienposted 5 years ago

Hello there, Written Up. I gotta say probably not. My eating habbits are just as bad  when I eat out as when I eat in. However to my credit, I know what healthy is, so I recognize when I see it in my fridge, or on the menu.
    I love fat, salt, sugar. As a chef, all to often I take my work home.....why? 'Cuz I LOVE food, my other problem is; I LOVE eating. I am one of the weirdo's who believe you can(to a point) counter your unhealthy eating with the gym, with being active, with choosing bad things in a good way.
    I am the type of guy (if you have a weak stomach, you may want to skip ahead), who will wake up in the middle of the night and have a chili-cheese-onions hot dog, with chips......wait for it .........wait for it .....and chocolate milk.
    BUT, I try to use the healthier oils when I can, that means peanut oil in the fry daddy, always kosher salt (the other sodium stuff is good for nothing except melting ice), and I do keep the sugar to a minimum....kinda.
    I don't have high blod pressure, my cholesterol count at last testing was a pinch below average. Im 6'1, 225lbs....down from 263( long hours in the kitchen was keeping me out of the gym). Im not saying everyone should eat like I do, I am saying we should all be more active. In todays economy eating healthy isn't always an affordable endeavor.
    Did I mention I love salad? Is it weird I like them with french fries on top?

4. mvillecat profile image78
    mvillecatposted 5 years ago

Very much unhealthy. We grab fast food and then eat way too much.

working