Why do most people eat more cooked food than raw food?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Rota profile image79
    Rotaposted 8 years ago

Why do most people eat more cooked food than raw food?

Most people gravitate to cooked food (over raw food) without thinking about it. What is the reason for this among people - both in a general sense and specific to you.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12897199_f260.jpg

2. Express10 profile image83
    Express10posted 8 years ago

Most people grow up in homes where this is the norm and this is what they are accustomed to and so they continue that tradition. Some people simply do not want to eat raw food because this is the way they are used to eating and to switch would be a massive undertaking. Sadly, many Americans barely eat one or two salads without drowning them in fattening, sugary, or salty toppings during the course of a week, I highly doubt that will change anytime soon.

1. Rota profile image79
      Rotaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You express much of my stance on the matter in your answer. I agree the initial factor is 'what people grow up with'. And later its an unwillingness to deviate much from that. I lament how much fat & salt people add to raw food. Thanks for ur ans

3. Rido profile image61
    Ridoposted 8 years ago

For the starters, cooked food are more delicious than raw food. Even though raw food is good for health, most people prefer cooked food because its delicious and provides a sense of satisfaction.

1. Rota profile image79

Thank you so much for your response. I think that your point probably represents the general concensus - cooked food does indeed tend to be tastier...
      And yes, I do agree that it is easier to feel satisfied after eating cooked food.

4. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 8 years ago

Cooked food is easier to chew and digest, and you get more nutrients out of cooked food in most cases. And in the case of meat and some vegetables, you must cook it to be able to safely eat it.

1. Rota profile image79

It is true that some foods are more likely to cause illness if left uncooked, and yes nutrition is a factor. Thanks for your comment Tamara.

5. profile image58
    Leon1345posted 8 years ago

Lol.  I wouldn't eat raw chicken or pork.  Obviously meats need to be cooked so you don't get sick but I like my beef to say moo.  But I guess with cooked vegetables, they are easier to chew especially if you have bad teeth or unable to chew on something hard.  I personally like raw carrots and beets over the cooked ones

1. Rota profile image79

Yes, most people don't eat raw meat - good point. It is true that when food is cooked it breaks down some, making it easy to chew - I should know, I have a dental bridge and I am definitely am careful with hard food. Thank you for your comment Leon!

2. profile image58
      Leon1345posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I do have a bridge and some food is hard to eat

6. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/3221621_f260.jpg

Because bacon & eggs, a roast meal , steak , lasagna all taste good cooked. Salad is nice with some meat but we don't want to eat that all the time.

1. Rota profile image79

I think that your answer reflects how most people feel about it - it's a taste preference thing. Thanks for commenting!

7. WordCrafter09 profile image65
    WordCrafter09posted 8 years ago

People sometimes act as if raw things (like vegetables) are a new thing.  They aren't.  The world (including America) is full of people who grew up eating, say. cooked carrots sometimes but raw carrots at other times.  Same for things like celery, peppers, whatever...  Maybe people didn't talk about it the way the do now, but it wasn't a time when people needed a bandwagon to jump on with regard to eating; and it wasn't a time when people engaged in discussions about "healthy food" just because the subject of "healthy food" was "the latest thing".

Anyway, one reason I, personally, may choose cooked stuff over uncooked is that it's most often easier to digest, but also I kind of like not having to think about stuff like e.coli on produce.  Washing produce is something I make a very big deal out of it, and sometimes it's just quicker and easier to microwave some frozen vegetables.  I don't mind washing, say. lettuce and tomato for a salad, but I don't care enough about food to want to be bothered washing "a zillion" other vegetables (for one person and only for as long as they'll last) for more than that for my salad.  (That's what pre-made salads at groceries stores and fast-food places were made for.  smile  )

As far as fruits go, I think most people grew up eating uncooked fruit.  It's not a new invention; and as with vegetables, "cooked" turns fruit into a whole other thing.

The thing, I think, that advertisers and book sellers and any number of other people are out there creating the impression that "nobody" eats uncooked (or otherwise healthy) food.  People have quietly been eating, growing up, raising their children on, things like raw foods in their diet since "whenever".  They just don't talk about it because they're not selling something and/or plain old think the world is too full of food talk.

Returning to a reason for sometimes/often choosing "cooked", there are people in this world starving or eating/drinking bacterial-loaded stuff.  The luxury of frozen vegetables isn't such a horrible thing to people who have more to think about than food.

1. Rota profile image79

Thank you for your detailed response. You have raised many interesting points. Of course people do eat a lot of raw food in addition to cooked food. But it so often seems to be mostly cooked food - and some raw...rarely the other way around.

8. Barbara Gabrielli profile image58
    Barbara Gabrielliposted 7 years ago

I would say that it taste better when cooked, and also what comes to mind is easier to eat. Many elderly people have false teeth and need to eat softer food. Food tends to soften when  you cook it.

1. Rota profile image79
      Rotaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree that it is easier to eat. Until I got a dental bridge I never realised how much cooking food affected how easily i could eat it. Now I avoid some raw foods for this very reason. Thanks for your comment Barbara.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)