jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Ever pressure canned carrots?

1. mvillecat profile image78
    mvillecatposted 5 years ago

Ever pressure canned carrots?

I will be pressure canning for the first time tomorrow and will be using carrots.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

You know, I watched my Grandmother can all sorts of vegetables, but I never saw her can carrots.

mvillecatposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That is very interesting. I haven't been able to successfully grow any here in Georgia, but I buy them when they go on sale and can them. I did a pretty great job the first time out!

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Good for you!  smile

3. lauramaryscott profile image60
    lauramaryscottposted 5 years ago

JThomp42, I am guessing, but I think your grandmother probably did not can carrots because they usually left them in the ground and covered the ground with straw or hay.  When they wanted carrots in the middle of winter, they uncovered a spot, loosed up the dirt and pulled up as many carrots as they wanted to eat at the time and covered them up again.  They did the same thing with potatoes.  If they did harvest the potatoes and carrots, they usually had a dirt cellar and they placed the produce in a container with sand in the bottom and covered them with more sand.

mvillecatposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks lauramary!! Thanks for schooling us in that. It makes sense because I know my grandmother had a root cellar. Great add, thanks!

working