What are the best french fries you ever had?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (25 posts)
  1. EJ Lambert profile image73
    EJ Lambertposted 10 years ago

What are the best french fries you ever had?

One of the staples of the American way of life is the french fry.  Given how many famous and not-so-famous places serve them, which one had very best you ever tasted?

2. Man of Strength profile image71
    Man of Strengthposted 10 years ago

During a trip to Los Angeles, I ate at several of the famous fast food restaurants on the west coast. I went to Fat Burger, In & Out, and yet none of their fries tasted better than McDonalds. The golden arches get my vote.

EJ Lambertposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is my choice as well.  When they're fresh there is no better fry in terms of size or flavor the Mickey D's.

3. Attikos profile image83
    Attikosposted 10 years ago

The best I get are the ones I do in my own kitchen. At least they're real potatoes. Look up the ingredients of Mickey D's.

There's nothing wrong with fresh, natural cuts.  I love them a lot.

4. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 10 years ago

Ah...such a difference between the "best" fries I have ever had and my favorite.  My favorite french fries come from McDonalds.  No way around it.  I believe that they use a special salt derived from crack to make them so tasty and addictive. ;-)

Dear God, you are so right.  The worst day of my life was when they discontinued the super size.

2. Man of Strength profile image71
      Man of Strengthposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You two are funny. I agree it has to be the salt, because all of the other places uses potatos and oil.

3. EJ Lambert profile image73

It's their mistake.  They can live with it.

5. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

Oh I wish could remember the name of the place.  It was on the beach in Hermosa Beach, California.  We were teens wandering on the beach all day in the sunshine and salty air.  We would gather our change and order a basket of french fries from this little place.  I have no idea if they were the best french fries or it was all in the mind of three hungry teens enjoying the summer on the beach....but they were awesome.

Okay now I'm homesick!  LOL

It doesn't really matter which.  What matters is you enjoyed them enough to remember them this far in the future.

6. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 10 years ago

Hmmm a tasty subject to ponder EJ. Thanks for asking. Pondering as fast as a heart beat and the blink of an eye today french fries for me today is pretty much a toss up. More than likely between Del Taco and In-n-Out when served apropos with their formula for common. However, I tend to ask for french fries to have more crisp than common, ordering them to be well done. With that in mind In-n-Out wins hands down.

I always enjoy when sitting in line watching them press the potatoes through the blades exchanged with frequency creating those thinner than normal fresh cut fries. My understanding with their beef their purchases is seeking local to a circumference of miles seeking a minimum of time in transport. They say their beef is refrigerated, yet never frozen,so ponder driving time. Rumor or research shares that is one reason they are not in some locals. I ponder that level of purchasing with potatoes too.

Of course one to consider in a different class are those Cajun Style Fries at Five Guys. If you are diabetic forget the burger, order the brimming over serving of fries and there is a meal. No bun needed and just splurge for a meal now and then.

I think maybe I know what is for dinner or lunch tomorrow. I'll ponder the drive and consider the ketchup. When waiting inside for the fries at Five Guys the opportunity to watch the show behind the counter with free peanuts offers entertainment before heading somewhere with that bag of fries. A 4 x 4 sounds good too at In-n-Out. Darn, a burrito and fries with root beer is good too. I guess I really cannot decide . . .

You are much like my father, ts.  He loves them well done too.  Five Guys is rising up my charts fast.  So delicious.

2. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hello EJ. I think that taste for well done comes from dad working flipping burgers when near the 4th grade. I think if the fries were burnt we got them for free. I dun'no. I remember those fries were always great because dad cooked 'me up.

3. EJ Lambert profile image73

Home cooked always seems to trump fast food, burnt or otherwise.

7. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

I had to go to Canada for good fries -probably any place there. I bought mine in Crystal Beach and Fort Erie Ontario. They were not very greasy, served with vinegar and salt, and ultra delicious. I can still remember the aroma and crunchy taste of this delicacy.

Guess I need to make a trip north!

8. WalterPoon profile image67
    WalterPoonposted 10 years ago

The best french fries that I ever had was not from McDonald's or KFC. It was from South India, a restaurant somewhere along the way from Chennai to Bangalore. They had curry leaves in it and were fat and relatively short, compared to those of McDonald's. I suspect the french fries were made from mashed potatoes, mixed with curry leaves.

Wow.  Totally revamped fries?  I applaud their original thinking.

9. liesl5858 profile image84
    liesl5858posted 10 years ago

I think the best one for me is MacDonald's and KFC's French fries with Mac chicken sandwich and fried chicken...

KFC can be really good when they're fresh and crunchy.  Nice call.

10. BlissfulWriter profile image71
    BlissfulWriterposted 10 years ago

Personally, I like sweet potato fries at Counter Burger.

I just started getting into sweet potatoes, so these sound delicious.

11. Missy Mac profile image70
    Missy Macposted 10 years ago

Homemade potatoes cut circular with onions or Ore Ida steak fries.  You can bake or fry them.!!!

Versatility.  I like it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)