jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

I recently read that the new norm for tipping should be 25% instead of 20%, what

1. Novel Treasure profile image89
    Novel Treasureposted 5 years ago

I recently read that the new norm for tipping should be 25% instead of 20%, what do you think?

Do you think tipping 25% of your bill is excessive, or reasonable? Does it depend on the situation?

2. point2make profile image82
    point2makeposted 5 years ago

Not only is 25% excessive it's beginning to border on intrusive. I would be less likely to visit a restaurant if I knew that after my meal I would be expected to pay a 25% tip. I  believe a tip is earned and, for the most part, I am a generous tipper but I will determine the tip amount and I refuse to be guided by the "new norm". There are lots of choices when it comes to dining out. I would not let any restaurant spoil, or intrude, on a intimate evening out  because of excessive tipping.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I think everyone is suffering in this economy so sure what food service worker wouldn't want tips to increase to 25%.  No I can't afford 25% of the total bill. I would love to be able to though.

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image96
    DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

I think tipping is an outdated practice that needs to end, and employers should just pay a proper wage to start with, and not force employees to depend on tips to make up the difference.
    It would all come out the same in the end, cost-wise, whether it's a "tip" or just added to the price of the menu items, the grand total would be the same...and...more uniform for that matter.

5. rfmoran profile image88
    rfmoranposted 5 years ago

I recall, and I'm probably dating myself, when the standard tip was 15 percent. 20 percent is just fine, and it's easy to calculate in your head. The tips naturally increase over time as the price of meals goes up.

6. BSloan profile image73
    BSloanposted 5 years ago

15% is the norm for regular customer service.  When the service is great we usually tip 20%. 

Breakfast is the only time we tip 25 to 30 % since our mom & pop corner restaurant has breakfast for very low prices, around $4.99 per person and includes everything.  The service is excellent and I compare it to when we dine out at more expensive places.