jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How long can you keep homemade breadcrumbs if they're in an air tight container?

1. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 5 years ago

How long can you keep homemade breadcrumbs if they're in an air tight container?

2. mvillecat profile image78
    mvillecatposted 5 years ago

Honestly, I don't know about in a an air tight container but I freeze mine just to make sure. I make fresh crumbs as well as purchase them and they all go into the freezer.

3. joanwz profile image73
    joanwzposted 5 years ago

Like mvillecat, I freeze them. They last months and months in the freeze. Pack  pre-measured amounts in  zip-lock baggies. Pre-measured amounts are the quantities you would use for a recipe. Or just pack them in a baggie or two and pour out only what you need, then put the baggie back in the freezer. The great thing is that bread crumbs don't get bruised and I've never had a problem with freezer burn. As long as you don't let any moisture into the bag and keep the air squished out of the bag, there shouldn't be a problem with ice crystals either.

4. PaisleeGal profile image78
    PaisleeGalposted 5 years ago

I've kept them in pantry for 3-4 months. But I don't make many at a time so they don't last longer than that. I noticed some comments about people storing them in freezer. I never thought of that but will do that now. I do, however, collect old bread in a big in the freezer until ready to make the crumbs.

5. chefsref profile image80
    chefsrefposted 5 years ago

They should last until the fat in the crumbs goes rancid, 6 months to a year (Assuming they were perfectly dry to start) freezing will help. Also you can put them in an airtight plastic bag, put a straw in the corner of the bag and as you close the bag suck out all the air, less oxygen equals longer shelf life.

6. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

"HOME MADE," bread crumbs, whether in an air-tight container or not, can be kept for as long as BREAD can be kept.  Without a special drying process and a form of preservatives, we need to treat home made products as any perishable item.  Depending on the kind of bread....white, wheat, rye, sour dough, etc.....and how long it can be kept without developing mold, I would gauge the same for bread crumbs.   Refrigerating would extend the amount of time.