jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is a plant-based diet healthy?

1. dappledesigns profile image90
    dappledesignsposted 5 years ago

Is a plant-based diet healthy?

is it possible to get all of the nutrients you need by eating only whole organic plant-based foods and drinking water?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

A vegan diet can be healthy and have many positive health benefits, but ensure that it's well planned and nutritionally balanced. Make sure it "includes whole grains, colorful fruits and vegetables and heart-healthy fats."

3. Audrey Baker profile image85
    Audrey Bakerposted 5 years ago

I am more familiar with a vegetarian diet. The only vitamin I seem to short myself by not eating meat is vitamin b12. I take a sublingual vitamin for that. If I used nutritional yeast regularly, I'd get it there too. I take other supplements as well such as a vegetarian omega-3. I've been doing this for 4 years and believe myself to be quite healthy. That's my personal experience. I've read varying opinions as well. I got the sense there were more in favor than against. Some argue it's healthier than a typical omnivore's diet. Of course, I'm referring to vegetarian diets. Vegan is a bit different, but as long as they are careful to get their RDA of vitamins and minerals, I don't see why there would be a problem.

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image95
    DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

It is not only possible, but preferable.  Humans have chosen to eat meat, and many consider themselves to be "carnivores," or "omnivores," but in truth, our digestive systems are not really designed for handling meat, and neither are our teeth.

One of my hubs on why would anyone want to be a vegetarian goes into this in far more detail.

working