jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

It is said that fresh onions can prevent getting the flu. Is this true, and if

1. Paul Kuehn profile image95
    Paul Kuehnposted 5 years ago

It  is said that fresh onions can prevent getting the flu.  Is this true, and if so, why?

2. jaraven9 profile image60
    jaraven9posted 5 years ago

There's no scientific evidence that suggests onions will prevent the flu.  I would think that if you eat a lot of onions then people would stay away from you... Preventing any sick people from coming near you, hence preventing the flu. smile
    On another nerdy chemistry note, onions do make people teary eyed. If an onion is not sliced properly they release sulfenic acids.  When the gas wafts in the air it reacts with water in air or in your eyes and forms sulfuric acid.  Tearing up more just helps wash the acid away.

Paul Kuehnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your comment.

3. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

Hi Paul.....Yes, this has been claimed about fresh onions and as with most natural substances, these are speculations/observations, based upon various studies and laboratory testing.  So, while evidence is strong, in these claims, they're, as yet, not absolute. 
    However, I say, "any and all," which nature provides us, that consistently show significant benefit to the body, in terms of prevention or healing properties, should be taken seriously and at least considered as a viable option to health treatment.
    Red onions, in particular, have high concentrations of "Quercetin." ...a plant-derived flavanol, that has anti-oxidant properties, which remove free radicals from our system.
    Quercetin has been linked to numerous health benefits, in particular, it is known to support our immune system, clear excess congestion and is a very powerful anti-inflammatory agent.  It seems to me, given these links....".help in preventing the flu ," is an easily understood probability.  "Quercetin supplements (capsules) can be purchased OTC....but if you like onions, as I surely do, I prefer a burger or salad with ONION...to a capsule!   Hope this helps, Paul
    (I managed a General Nutrition Center (GNC) store for 4 years...lol...I didn't just happen to pull this info, off the top of my head!.....)

Paula,
      Thank you very much for the great information.  I appreciate it.

4. Doodlehead profile image78
    Doodleheadposted 5 years ago

Garlic is the answer.   Garlic is antiviral and antibacteral.   Raw garlic is best.   Chew a half a raw clove each day and swallow.   You will not get sick.

Doodlehead, Thank you for your interesting answer.

working