jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Can you name any Failed Launches in the food marketing industry?

1. ptosis profile image80
    ptosisposted 4 years ago

Can you name any Failed Launches in the food marketing industry?

Coca Cola's Blak, McLobster, green ketchup,

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8012169_f260.jpg

2. FatFreddysCat profile image100
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

Crystal Pepsi was a pretty massive failure. I was working for Kmart at the time that stuff debuted and one of my daily duties was to re-stock the two soda machines at the front of the store. Over time the refill stockpile of all the other brands in the machine (Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Diet Pepsi, etc.) dwindled away but we never had to re-order Crystal Pepsi because the stuff just sat there. I never had to refill its slots in the soda machines because NOBODY was buying it. Eventually a Pepsi rep came to the store, took all of the Crystal Pepsi stock off our shelves and out of the stockrooms and it was never spoken of again. Haha!!

I think the only ones who made any money off of that debacle were the members of Van Halen, who licensed their song "Right Now" for Crystal Pepsi commercials.

1. Georgie Lowery profile image97
      Georgie Loweryposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Blue Pepsi was nasty, too!

3. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image98
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 4 years ago

A number of years ago Coca Cola introduced a new recipe and it was a big flop.  They went back to the old recipe after a while.  Coke and Pepsi drinkers don't like it when they mess with the formula.

1. Lisa HW profile image73
      Lisa HWposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That's the one that most comes to mind for me.  People were hoarding "old Coke" as they started worrying that "new Coke" was all they'd be able to get.  So the company dumped "new Coke" and called their product "Coca Cola Classic" to this day.

4. Jordan Hake profile image88
    Jordan Hakeposted 4 years ago

I saw some macaroni-filled-chicken-nuggets once.  They disappeared quickly and never returned, so I'm guessing they flopped.

5. Angela Kane profile image77
    Angela Kaneposted 4 years ago

I remember a Pepsi coming out with a clear version of their Pepsi Cola drink a while back and it didn't go very well. I also remember the green ketchup from Heinz, I never understood that one at all.

6. webscripts profile image60
    webscriptsposted 4 years ago

Pepsi also came out with a blue drink. Even though blue is the worst color to associate with food, one would think a drink might do better (refreshing, cold, etc) but it didn't go very far because of the taste.

working