jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What are some quick easy meals that can be made on a limited budget?

1. dorothy0328 profile image76
    dorothy0328posted 4 years ago

What are some quick easy meals that can be made on a limited budget?

2. moonfairy profile image80
    moonfairyposted 4 years ago

there's so many! Some of my favorites are lasagna, shephard's pie, american chop suey, burgers and pizza. You could make a great meal out of mixing some pasta with sauteed vegetables and cheese. Tacos are inexpensive to make and delicious too....and I'm sure there are so many other things that you can make for not a lot of money that are nourishing and filled with flavor!

3. profile image0
    CalebSparksposted 4 years ago

My family really likes tacos. Tortillas or tacos shells, a pound or two of ground beef (or deer), tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream, etc. probably wouldn't be too expensive no matter where you live. This meal could probably be made for around $15.

A taco meal does not require a lot of prep time either.

4. Abby Campbell profile image94
    Abby Campbellposted 4 years ago

Limited budget? That is different to all people. I'm very big into living a healthy lifestyle. That requires healthy eating. However, many believe that healthy foods are much more expensive than pre-packaged, processed foods. That's not always the case though (just in case you are thinking this). You can read my hub here that will help you with eating affordably well: http://abbycampbell.hubpages.com/hub/Ho … -Eat-Well.

Since meats are usually the most expensive of food types, you can buy them when they go on sale and then stock them in the freezer. Veggies and fruits can be bought at local farmers markets to save on budget. If you have an Aldi's, you can also buy very economical produce. You can even buy frozen veggies in "family" packs at Walmart for $5-$6 per pack. You can get a good 4 servings for a family out of that bag. I like Birds Eye brand the best as they seem to pack the freshest and highest quality produce.

For meals, I like to keep things simple. I usually marinate my meats with a homemade sauce or rub and then just grill. I will accompany my meat dishes with a side salad or veggies and then just add a little healthy fats with flax, olive, coconut oil, or butter to them. If you want to add starches such as wild/brown rice, potatoes, or sweet potatoes, you can certainly do that. Those are usually pretty economical foods already.

As far as healthy, balanced snack ideas:

(1) boiled eggs with half grapefruit.
    (2) plain Greek yogurt mixed with frozen/fresh berries/fruit and a few walnuts.
    (3) low-fat cottage cheese mixed with grape/cherry tomatoes and sunflower seeds or almonds.
    (4) natural deli meat wrapped with a slice of hard cheese (i.e., Cheddar, Mozzarella, etc.)
    (5) chocolate protein powder pudding mixed with strawberries and almonds.

Of course, you can always have these snacks as meals too. wink

5. WhatToCook profile image72
    WhatToCookposted 4 years ago

Beans and rice, stew, black bean burgers, salads, fried ham with gravy, are all good and cheap to make

working