How do you feed your family healthy meals while staying in a budget?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)
  1. barbergirl28 profile image83
    barbergirl28posted 11 years ago

How do you feed your family healthy meals while staying in a budget?

Lately I have been noticing that food prices keep rising. So, how do you find meals that are healthy but still within your budget. I am not suggesting everything has to be organic, but the price of meat and veggies and fruits is on the rise. How do you do it?

2. nifwlseirff profile image93
    nifwlseirffposted 11 years ago

Do you want to reduce costs or stick to your budget, but still eat healthily? Learn to prepare healthy meals even when grocery prices are rising! read more

3. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

We grow almost all our own veggies and some of our fruits. Tomatoes can go a long way since they can be cooked down into pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, salsas, and added to stews and chilis. Cooking bread saves us because I can cook some every 2 days and make anything from toast, sandwiches, to the bread crumbs I cover some of my meat with before I cook it. Saving money these days requires a little work but is worth it. Between our garden, coupons, cooking from scratch, and asking people (that I know) who won't eat the fruit from their trees if we can take the left overs helps a lot. We mainly just have to buy meats and some extra snacks my husband can't live without.

4. BudgetDiva profile image60
    BudgetDivaposted 11 years ago

I cook and buy in bulk and then freeze everything for quick and fast meals. I use frozen veggies when I can. I also don't buy things with skin organic. I find out my grocery stores schedule on marking down meat and shop on those days. Coupons are also a great idea when you have the time. If you don't have the time for coupons and can't get to the discounted meat you can also buy meat when there is a bogo event. The meat listed on the front pages of your grocery stores ads are the ones you should be purchasing. I don't buy lunch meat because I feel it's overpriced. I try to buy in season as well. Just a few ways I try and save.

5. ExpressFree profile image63
    ExpressFreeposted 11 years ago

Here are some of my suggestions so that you can provide healthy meals on a budget:

1. Check and gather healthy recipe's on  a budget.  There are a lot of available resources on the internet that gives you this information.
    2. Create a menu planner for the week or month as your guide for grocery shopping so that you don't end up buying food ingredients that will only end up in spoilage in the fridge.
    3. Make use of grocery coupons or free vouchers to cut down your expenses for foods.
    4. Go for fruits, vegetables and organic foods
    5. Buy in bulk for items that you frequenty use
    6. Avail of special promo on items offered in the supermarket to get a good deal of your money spending.
    7. Be creative and resourceful in learning to prepare meals out of the usual ingredients that you are having in the kitchen to have some food variety.
    8. Go through your overall family budget budget allocation and expenses.  There maybe some things that you can cut down to save money and probably allocate it for spending on healthy foods.
    9. If you like gardening, you can also grown your own vegetables so that you don't have to buy them.
    10.  You can also try to et some options on how to earn extra income to have more money added for food budget.

6. DDE profile image47
    DDEposted 11 years ago

I cook with olive oil  and if not with olive I use sunflower oil,  I enjoy chicken breasts, and good fresh green vegetables, steamed, I avoid cooking fatty and oily foods completely

7. fitmom profile image73
    fitmomposted 11 years ago

Although food prices are rising, I find that the unhealthy foods can be more expensive than the healthy foods the majority of the time. I buy fruits and vegetables along with organic meat and eggs. I've found that the organic meat is not that much more than the regular. In my opinion, it's worth it to feed my family meals that are good for them and full of nutrition.

Unfortunately, I rarely find coupons for the products that I buy. I do buy some things in bulk that we eat lots of and save some money that way.

8. just cosmo profile image60
    just cosmoposted 11 years ago

I don't have a Family as of now but i must say buying some food which is not healthy nor vitamins is considered a poor food. now if u want your family would be eat a healthy as well as coping to the budget make it easy , just buy some vegetables and some pork a little bit seasoning so that the vegetables that they dont like woud not be feel to them make some fruit share..ask them ahead of time for the best recipe they like when it comes in vegetables.

9. profile image0
    vinexshopposted 11 years ago

Actually firstly i prepare the menu for food that makes my family healthy and with this i keep remember their choice. As per this list i take decision what food match with my budget and i prepare that food as myself.

10. joanwz profile image79
    joanwzposted 11 years ago

that;s getting harde and harder, what with food prices going up. One way is to buy meats in bulk whenever possible, which lowers the price per unit somewhat. Another is to make good use of leftovers, while creating something new with them. Grilled chicken can be turned into enchiladas, fajitas, any kind of chicken  and veggiecasserole, or chicken salad of some sort.

11. mvillecat profile image68
    mvillecatposted 11 years ago

I garden but it has been difficult these past two years due to the extreme heat in Georgia. I have canned several jars of tomatoes, peppers and jam so far this summer. I also coupon and stockpile. I began doing that over a year ago and it works! Yes, I have eight bottles of mustard as where I use to only keep one but I got them at .30 a piece. It takes a great deal of time to menu plan and match up coupons with sales but it is worth it I think. I'm no prepper but I do feel more better when my pantry is stocked and the freezer is full.

12. Mz Quene Bee profile image60
    Mz Quene Beeposted 11 years ago

Good Morning! This is a constant concern of mine as I eat vegetarian food (which tends to be more expensive) and I cook for a meat eater so I strive to buy primarily organic meats and vegetables. The key for our family is cooking at home, having a vegetable based diet and finding ways to make those veggies really stretch. I'll be poesting a few economically savy food recipes this week, check them out and see if you can benefit. Hope that helped a little!

13. tamarawilhite profile image87
    tamarawilhiteposted 11 years ago

Go shopping for the bulk buy health food. A five pound bag of potatos is $3-5, five pounds of apples for $2-4, five pounds of rice for $2-3, two pounds of bananas for $2, big container of oatmeal for $2-4, five pounds of beans for $2.50, a gallon of milk for $4. Throw in a tub of butter for $2-4, three loaves of bread for $6, jar of peanut butter for $3 and jelly for $2. Get a second type of jelly for variety for $2.
    Now you have rice and beans for dinner, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunches, apples and bananas for snacks, oatmeal with milk or buttered toast for breakfasts. Food for a week for four, for $30-36.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)