jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

What is the healthiest snack food that someone else might consider junk food?

1. toptendeals profile image80
    toptendealsposted 4 years ago

What is the healthiest snack food that someone else might consider junk food?

2. Souther29 profile image82
    Souther29posted 4 years ago

Probably popcorn. Most people associate it with going to the cinema and being unhealthy but actually if you don't cover it in tons of sugar or butter it's a really good snack. Stick to plain popcorn and you have a winner. You can do a slight sprinkling of sugar if you find it more appealing but not too much.

It's got fibre, it's 100% whole grain and it's really low in fat. Lots of antioxidants too.

Infinitely better for you than potato chips, cake or cookies!

toptendealsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately that microwave popcorn is covered in chemicals (not that you were talking about that).  They can't make healthy easy can they.

2. Souther29 profile image82
      Souther29posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yeah the microwave stuff isn't great. Not sure if they sell it in the USA but there is a brand called Metcalfe's Skinny Popcorn here in the UK which is a solid choice for healthy popcorn. They have some flavourings to make them appealing too.

3. HeatherH104 profile image83
      HeatherH104posted 4 years agoin reply to this

You can buy popcorn kernels at the store and put 1/4 cup in a brown paper bag, and microwave on popcorn setting (I have to stop mine about 30 seconds early to avoid burning). To add flavor spray lightly w Pam and sprinkle some garlic salt. Yummy!

4. Souther29 profile image82
      Souther29posted 4 years agoin reply to this

@HeatherH104 I love that it's a common thing for microwaves to have a popcorn setting in the US. We need this in the UK:-)

5. Lady Guinevere profile image62
      Lady Guinevereposted 4 years agoin reply to this

On the back of some of that popcorn it tells you NOT to use the popcorn setting though.

6. HeatherH104 profile image83
      HeatherH104posted 4 years agoin reply to this

@souther29 - Guess we must eat a lot of popcorn to make it standard to have popcorn settings. It's interesting, I assumed all microwaves had that setting
      @Lady Guinevere- I've been popping it that way for years without issue. It's delicious-no issue.

7. Lady Guinevere profile image62
      Lady Guinevereposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I didn't say that you could not pop it in the microwave.  I said that on the popcorn bag it says not to use the popcorn button on your microwave but to self time it at about 1 minute 45 seconds.  Sorry it that was not clear.

3. Lady Guinevere profile image62
    Lady Guinevereposted 4 years ago

Peanuts, in the shell.  Protein packed.  HA, my answer was too short.  That is crazy!!  So shelling the peanuts is the working part to get to the good part.

toptendealsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I always end up hurting my fingernails trying to break into those tough pistachios.

working