jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

How can I use up tiny, unripe, sour grapes? Do you know any recipes, apart from

1. Diana Grant profile image92
    Diana Grantposted 4 years ago

How can I use up tiny, unripe, sour grapes?  Do you know any recipes, apart from wine-making?

A long cold spring, followed by a dull and very rainy harvesting season in London, has meant that my grapes were late to develop, and now that the weather has turned cold, I have given up hope for them to ripen on the vine.

They are still very small, and most of them are sour, and have large pips compared to their size - I think the pips must have developed to full-size at the expense of the fruit itself, leaving the outer flesh of the grapes to follow later.  I'm still quite proud of them, as grape-growing in the UK is still uncommon, and I don't want to waste the grapes if I can use them.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8506849_f260.jpg

2. ChitrangadaSharan profile image56
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 4 years ago

You can boil them in sugar syrup for some time, till it gets a two or three  string consistency. Cool it and you can spread it over bread or chapati.
    You can also blend it in a blender, add sugar, salt to taste and also add roasted and powdered cumin seeds to it. This will give you a sweet sour juice.

Diana Grantposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I might try that

3. rutley profile image75
    rutleyposted 4 years ago

Let the birds eat them............................................................you'll have diarreah if you eat em.

Diana Grantposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I'm tough - I've tried eating them, and, as long as they are sweet-sour enough to eat without spitting them out, I can indeed eat them without dire effects!

4. Idea Garden profile image60
    Idea Gardenposted 4 years ago

Grapes that are sour have a tendency to be very acidic. This makes for a wonderful marinating agent for various meats. You can extract the juice and pulp from the grapes and add salt, pepper and or any of your favorite marinade blends to a plastic baggie and allow your meats to marinate in the juices. Highly acidic fruits help tenderize meats before cooking. The longer you marinate the meat the more tender it will be.

working