jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

I'm boiling chicken giblets for my dogs for breakfast and am wondering if I can

1. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 4 years ago

I'm boiling chicken giblets for my dogs for breakfast and am wondering if I can save the broth.

do you think that this would make good broth, and if so, how long will it keep in the refrigerator? or freezer?

2. merej99 profile image82
    merej99posted 4 years ago

It makes an excellent broth!  You can throw in veggies and maybe a little bit of chicken & beef base.  Or just use the broth for your homemade stuffing.

I recommend that it should be okay in the refrigerator for a couple of days (no more than 3) and in the freezer for no more than 3 weeks.

You can also use it in place of water for homemade doggie biscuits.

Just Ask Susanposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I make dog cookies all the time and have never thought to use water in them. Thanks!

3. fpherj48 profile image75
    fpherj48posted 4 years ago

IMO....If I did save the broth from giblets, I would use it only for mixing with my dog's food.  There was a time that I ate giblets (due to the fact that our mother prepared them for us).  We actually loved chicken livers.
    Then, as an adult I became more aware of diet, healthy foods and foods to avoid.  Animal organs of any kind are a very bad idea........for numerous logical reasons.  In fact, after educating myself, I was disgusted by the fact that we used to eat a lot of things that pose problems.
    Someone once said to me, "Think about the 'purpose' of a LIVER......it's a filter organ, that traps toxins and poisons."   OK......yuk.....how about losing your appetite at the thought?! 
    An animal's body can tolerate this obviously since their system dates back to the "Wild.".......but, would you keep the broth for any other purpose?  I wouldn't.

Just Ask Susanposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Well now that you put it that way smile I love liver pate though sad Not sure that I'll be eating ever again now ... thanks Paula!

2. fpherj48 profile image75
      fpherj48posted 4 years agoin reply to this

LOL..I know what you mean, Susan.  I used to love calves liver, as well as chicken livers. I miss them, but since realizing the facts to what I was eating, I just don't. In fact, 10 yrs ago, I cut ALL red meat out of my diet...various reasons.

4. chefsref profile image80
    chefsrefposted 4 years ago

If you like the flavor, by all means use it. When I roast a chicken I always save the bones and trimmings (except fat) in the freezer,and when I have a few carcasses I make a stock. Also save and add any vegetable trimmings. After I get all the flavor out I strain itandsimmer it down to make my own chicken base. SO much better than bouillon cubes or canned stock and so much flavor that most people throw away.

working