jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What are the best emergency foods?

1. peeples profile image90
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

What are the best emergency foods?

Canned foods are great, but what foods are good for preparing for a winter power outage or other emergency that doesn't come in a can?

2. cfin profile image80
    cfinposted 3 years ago

I'm just listing off the top of my head without thinking so here goes. Beef Jerky? Jar of pickles? Honey? Peanut butter? Ramen Noodles? Powdered Milk? Coffee and Tea? White Rice in particular can last almost a decade.

Keep a gas canister and head in storage for emergencies, as cooked food is then possible too.

3. Don Bobbitt profile image95
    Don Bobbittposted 3 years ago

Once, years ago, we had a power outage that lased for over a week. It was below freezing and we had over 8-inches of snow on the frozen ground,
    I had frozen ground beef in our freezer, so I fired up my grill on our patio, and cooked all of the beef as hamburger patties. I then placed them in sealable plastic bags and stored them under a layer of the snow. For several days, we just warmed up a batch on the grill for our dinner.
    What my point is, look around your house, yur neighborhood, and improvise with what you see.
    DON

4. dillon102 profile image65
    dillon102posted 3 years ago

I recommend that you get a small Colman camping stove. These have 2 burners then you can cool almost any jar or can food including pasta! If you are worried about using this in the house then take it out to the garage and you shouldnt have any problems!

5. The Examiner-1 profile image74
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

Keeping a few cold cuts and cheese in the freezer for this, they can defrost to make a sandwich or two. Bread, butter and molasses are good. (Just put the butter back in the fridge fast.)
    When you have a gas stove and powdered soup, you can have something warm.

6. danicole profile image80
    danicoleposted 3 years ago

I'm only mentioning foods that require no refrigeration, preparation, water or cooking. They also don't typically come in cans:
    Energy, granola, and protein bars
    Peanut Butter/Jelly
    Ready-to-eat cereals/Uncooked instant cereals
    Trail Mix, Nuts, Peanuts, Cashews
    Beef jerky
    Crackers
    Bottled Water/Ginger Ale

working