jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)

Okra. Fried, gumbo or pickled? Be nice ya'll.

1. Patsybell profile image89
    Patsybellposted 2 years ago

Okra. Fried, gumbo or pickled? Be nice ya'll.

I know you hate okra - negative comments are not necessary. Please.

2. Faith Reaper profile image88
    Faith Reaperposted 2 years ago

Hahaha, well, Patsy, I actually love fried okra, but not until I was well into my adult years.  I won't pass up any a gumbo either, yummy!  I have never tried pickled okra though.  I am not sure I am a pickled kind of person, but maybe I need to try it before I say such.

Patsybellposted 2 years agoin reply to this

The pickled okra is made with little tender okra, just 2 or 3 inches long. I put a few baby okra in a jardiniere recipe.

Faith Reaperposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yum, that does sound yummy, Pasty!

3. capncrunch profile image77
    capncrunchposted 2 years ago

Why would anyone hate okra?  Is that a joke?  My absolute favorite way to eat shrimp is smothered in okra.  Okra gumbo is also great.  I eat okra straight from the garden.

No, it is not a joke. In some less enlightened parts of the country, there are actually folks who refuse to try it. Will you share what kind of okra you grow, please?

4. vickiholder profile image79
    vickiholderposted 2 years ago

I am from the South. I grew up eating things like fried okra. To me it doesn't get much better than okra fried with some potato and onion, fresh home-grown tomatoes and cucumbers, and a big pan of cornbread.

You make my mouth water.

Faith Reaperposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Woo, that sounds so good!

5. peeples profile image96
    peeplesposted 2 years ago

Fried okra is my favorite. My husband hates it so I always joke that we are going to stop eating all other veggies and only have okra. I like to be the one to cook it though, because I have noticed when buying it from restaurants it is often over fried to the point of no longer tasting the okra.

I agree, home cooks know how to cook it best. It is easy to ver cook.

6. JoanieMRuppel54 profile image63
    JoanieMRuppel54posted 2 years ago

We love okra grilled whole.  Just put a little olive oil, salt and pepper on the okra and grill it until the color turns bright green and while it still has a crunch.  Delish! 

To answer your question, I vote fried, I'm in Texas y'all.

Never tried grilled, but I will this summer. Texans know how to cook!

7. Jackie Lynnley profile image89
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 2 years ago

I love okra fried but for health reasons I no longer eat it that way but I dearly love it with onion and tomatoes; the way my mother fixed them and it changes it into a completely different food. I use this on pasta and rice too! Healthy never tasted so good. If course that dab of real butter sets it off too and healthier than margarine.

That sounds so good served over rice. I'd have to add a bit of garlic to the tomatoes and okra. Sounds good and also healthy.

working