jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you use a microwave? If so what do you use it more for reheating or actual co

1. dorothy0328 profile image78
    dorothy0328posted 2 years ago

Do you use a microwave? If so what do you use it more for reheating or actual cooking?

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

Reheating, popping popcorn, and occasionally defrosting.
    Early on I also use to use it for making bake potatoes but I seldom eat those anymore. I used it for making bacon a few times in the past.
    The idea of microwaves being used to make meals from scratch failed for the most part. Most people still prefer to use their conventional oven to bake, broil, and roast foods.
    The microwave will never (replace) the traditional oven.
    Every now an then I see some old microwave cook books on the bargain table at bookstores. :-)

3. Kristen Howe profile image89
    Kristen Howeposted 2 years ago

I use my microwave for reheating and some actual cooking, like frozen food dinners. Sometimes for melting butter and defrosting or thawing cold food.

4. IslandBites profile image87
    IslandBitesposted 2 years ago

I use the microwave mostly for reheating food.

5. Kloeksister profile image71
    Kloeksisterposted 2 years ago

Mainly to reheat and defrost. My aunt is a microwave boffin though, bakes cakes and all kinds of crazy things in the microwave.

6. Joyfulcrown profile image77
    Joyfulcrownposted 2 years ago

I use the microwave for heating, water or food.  I very rarely use to for cooking.  Lately have I been trying to avoid using a microwave because I have read that it was unhealthy for you.

7. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

I use it much more rarely these days other than defrosting, heating veggies, and popping corn. hmmmm . . . I guess I use it more than I thought, but actual usage times are much less. Veggies are the only real thing I use it for fresh cooking. Oh yeah, I do use it to soften ice cream out of the freezer. I heard tell it does scrambled eggs okay, however I really am afraid to try. I don't want a negative affect from failure since that is a favorite.

I don't use it with TV dinners anymore. I got tired of trying different levels to get it to heat evenly without cold spots. I would have to remember a different level for different frozen entrees. Too confusing and too much stuff to remember. I use to use it for left over pizza, but again too many cold spots. If heated too long then rubbery crust. Much better in the oven for that.