jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why can't I stop eating fast food?

1. rgasperson lm profile image88
    rgasperson lmposted 20 months ago

Why can't I stop eating fast food?

Fast food for me is a vice. There's nothing else like it and even though I want to stop eating fast food I keep finding myself at the drive through window. I don't understand why my willpower is not stronger than it is.

2. nochance profile image94
    nochanceposted 20 months ago

Fast food is actually addictive in a number of ways. Our brains and bodies love the sugar and high calories.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/yo … -fast-food

Find healthier foods that you can use to replace fast food. Pack snacks or meals for yourself if you worry about wanting to swing by to grab a burger. If you frequently get extras try cutting them out. Get a bottle of water instead of a soda and skip the fries, or only get them once in a while.

I allow myself the treat of it once in a while and then I only get a small burger. No fries, no drink. Because yeah, it tastes really good.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image97
    FatFreddysCatposted 20 months ago

I sympathize because I too have difficulty passing up a McDonald's in the morning without stopping in for an Egg McMuffin. I try to limit myself to once a week because I know they're terrible for me ... but they're so damned tasty!!

4. Alessio Ganci profile image84
    Alessio Ganciposted 20 months ago

Yeah junk food creates addiction over the time. Even more the "American junk food", which I can say, for example, to be a lot more "junky" than junk food you can find in Italy (where I live in), as I often travel to USA and I had the opportunity to see the differences (even if I am not a junk food eater, I only have it twice a month).

If you try to eliminate sodas and add fresh fruit/vegetables juices (not the sugar-loaded ones packaged, I say 100% fresh juices) and obviously water, and try some "healty alternatives" like sandwiches with seitan (or other vegan alternatives), without creamy cheeses and sauches, you may experience a little change in your diet

For me, as a not abitual junk food eater (I don't even eat sweets, I have them only once-twice a month), I completely don't feel the need of them, some of them even make me with a sense of disgust (that demonstrates, when you are addicted, you feel the need of foods your natural body would completely reject). With the sweets, I like them, however when I eat a sweet I feel it A LOT sweet more than other people may experience: if you eat too many sweets, you are too familiar with the "sweet taste" and you don't even manage your body maybe is refusing such an amount of sugar. When you are addicted to junk food, your psichology wins over your body, and your "need" of junk food completely bypass your body's reaction to them.

5. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 20 months ago

It's fast and it's fairly cheap!
    You could go into Sam's or Costco and buy a foot long hot dog, large slice of pizza, a coke with (free refills), and a cup of frozen yogurt for about $5, By contrast their small salad is about $4 by itself.
    Secondly there is a huge variety of fast food restaurants to choose from whether you're in the mood for burgers, chicken, fish, shrimp, hot dogs/polish, taco/burritos, or pizza.
    You have someone else preparing the food for you which beats the hell out going to the grocery store to purchase the various ingredients, spending time preparing, and then waiting for the food to be done...etc Simply put the drive-thru wins hands down for speed and convenience.
    Last but not least there are no dishes to wash afterwards!

6. profile image0
    Diana Abrahamsonposted 20 months ago

It is easy, first of all and secondly they put in addictive substances that keep you crying for more! The addition of potato chips makes it more unhealthy too.