jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

HOW TO COOK BROWN RICE

1. profile image46
    cooknow88posted 7 years ago

brown rice

Because brown rice is a lot higher in fiber than white rice, you can’t simply adopt the “white rice” directions on the rice cooker or the rice will not show up tough, not soft.

Instructions:

Step 1 TO COOK BROWN RICE

Rinse & drain two cups of brown rice.

Step 2 TO COOK BROWN RICE

Place it in the rice cooker.  Rather of filling the cooker with H2O to the “2 cup” mark, fill it to the “three cup” mark in your rice cooker. That usually means 3 cups of water for the 2 cups of brown rice.

Step 3 TO COOK BROWN RICE

Add a half teaspoon of salt.

Step 4 TO COOK BROWN RICE

Turn cooker on.

2. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 7 years ago

you can make hub with this.that may bring you some money as well enriching your account

1. adrienne2 profile image62
      adrienne2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Saleheen a hub can be made out of this, I dread even trying to cook brown rice.  I tried it once, and it took forever, and ever to get done. My mom loves it.

3. Tall Tale profile image57
    Tall Taleposted 7 years ago

I never put salt in my rice but each to his own.

4. timorous profile image84
    timorousposted 7 years ago

Yes, brown rice takes twice as long to cook as white rice, and needs about twice as much water as white rice.

I do rice in a saucepan.  For a half cup of white (or basmati) rice, I put in 1 1/3 cups of water.  After initally boiling, I cook on low heat for about 15 minutes, or until the water is completely absorbed.

For the same amount of brown rice, I use 2 cups of water. Cook for 30 minutes, until the water is absorbed, and the rice is chewy but soft.

You may need to make some adjustments, depending on the type of rice, and your cooking equipment.

5. ftclick profile image56
    ftclickposted 7 years ago

And then there are lots of people who say do not rinse it. You are washing away the nutrients. kind of what white rice is.

1. adrienne2 profile image62
      adrienne2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

@ftclick I heard that as well not to rinse. Ok so who will take on the task to write a hub on  How To Correctly Cook Brown Rice?

6. profile image0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

Good rice needs to be rinsed to keep it from getting sticky. Rinsing takes off the starch dust and soaking it for a few minutes makes it all the better. I use less water too.

1. sofs profile image84
      sofsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That is the staple diet of most Asians.. it is the simplest thing to cook .. twice the amount of water.. and leave it in the cooker.. 15 min on slow heat and vola  its done.. adding salt is optional!! smile   easy peasy!!
      Just one rinse would do as you would wash away the iron and the fiber content and be left with plain carbs..

7. profile image0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

One can also quickly brown it in a hot pan first.

1. sofs profile image84
      sofsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Walrus sound like you are a great cook.. .. pan cooking takes more time especially red rice..hey  you dont need to watch over it in the cooker... smile
      How about cooking in the bottle... lol

working