Is white rice a good staple in a diet?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)
  1. ii3rittles profile image77
    ii3rittlesposted 12 years ago

Is white rice a good staple in a diet?

I personally love white rice with butter and salt, plain, with apple sauce.... I can go on and on. So is it a good staple in a diet? I'm changing my diet so I am eating healthier. No not diet as in I'm going on a said "way of eating" for a certain amount of time. I mean my diet as in what I eat on a daily basis. Asian men and women are all so slender and in shape and age so nicely, and I wonder if its because their main staple is white rice followed by veggies, then fruit. and finally (in small portions) meat. I can go with out meat but I think my body needs the protein. I hate eating it thow.

2. Ten Blogger profile image60
    Ten Bloggerposted 12 years ago

Eating rice alone in large quantity for lunch or dinner may not be such a good idea. Rice gets metabolized very fast and it is good only in small quantity. You should also have mix-grain bread / pasta. Lean meat ( chicken / fish ) works well too.

You can also check out some of my fun vegetarian dishes.

3. kafsoa profile image63
    kafsoaposted 12 years ago

Brown rice is better for health and digestion , but with respect to calories they're not so far. 1 cup of cooked white rice contain 240 calories while a cup of cooked brown rice contain around 215 calories, so you can still eat white rice if you eat fibers in fruit or whole wheat bread.

4. pork22 profile image74
    pork22posted 12 years ago

White rice is mostly starch. Starch is converted to sugar by your body, and if not used, it will be stored as fat. Brown rice is broken down slower by your body and has more fiber and nutrients. White rice is not "bad" but you need to eat in moderation, and in an amount appropriate to your activity level. You can increase protein by eating beans, seeds and nuts.

5. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 12 years ago

Brown rice will be a better choice in terms of healthy eating. If you are a active person, white rice will give you the energy needed to burn. Unfortunately brown rice is not that nice to eat.

6. JMAW profile image60
    JMAWposted 12 years ago

i was born and raised in Hawaii and am part Asian so white rice is a huge component of our cuisine out here.  i tried cutting it out for years because i was worried about carbs.  during the time that i cut white rice from my diet i ballooned up to 210 lbs (145 lbs when i graduated high school).  in part that was due to lack of exercise but i also think it had to do with changing my diet.  i am now at 150 lbs, which i attribute to more movement in my life, and what i eat, which now includes white rice regularly, more fruits, and vegetables, limited meat.  i eat alot of seafood for protein, no chicken, limited beef (less than 2x a month), pork about once a week, and turkey once in awhile. 

i am all for the white rice because since incorporating it back into the mix, my digestion seems to function more effectively.  shoot, incorporating carbs in general because i think i get less fat because of that. 

i say keep on with the rice!  and if you want to limit the amount of white rice, just make "hapa" rice by mixing in some brown rice.

7. How? profile image41
    How?posted 12 years ago

Brown rice is a better rice,, when it comes to loosing weight.
    I heard an interview from a very famous Indian actress - Rani Mukharjee..
    She said that she was eating brown rice instead of  white to reduce her calorie intake
    Hope this help smile

8. Ancillotti profile image61
    Ancillottiposted 12 years ago

Better would be eating brown rice, but balancing the good with white rice dishes, you will maintain a good diet.
    I, for one, do not let go of the rice bank since I can not stand the taste of brown rice ...
    Hope this helps!
    Cheers!

9. kafsoa profile image63
    kafsoaposted 12 years ago

Should we eat white or brown rice?
    Click edit above to add content to this empty capsule.

This question is asked by many people who are planning to follow reducing weight diet. Some people think that brown rice has much less calories than white rice. In fact white rice is milled brown rice. People used to do that to get rid of all moisture and germs that shorten the life of rice when stored. In this hub I'll give you some nutrition information information that might be helpful when you decid read more

10. Brinafr3sh profile image78
    Brinafr3shposted 12 years ago

Have you ever tried brown rice, or wheat pastas? I believe they are more healthier.

11. Felixedet2000 profile image58
    Felixedet2000posted 12 years ago

yes it is a very good part of our normal diet, whatever it is, it contribute to the overall growth and development of the body.

12. CeLestialCameo profile image81
    CeLestialCameoposted 12 years ago

Organic brown rice is the best. It's better for you, more filling and it smells so yummy as it is cooking. You can put just about anything on it. I have even used it as breakfast with cinnamon and egg whites. It almost tastes like cinnamon toast. That's just my opinion.

13. daskittlez69 profile image75
    daskittlez69posted 12 years ago

White rice has less fiber and vitamins than brown rice, but is an excellent source of niacin and a moderate source of protein, thiamin and iron. If you choose to eat white rice instead of brown then I would suggest eating it with plenty of cooked vegetables. This will help to prevent constipation.

14. Nadeeshan301 profile image68
    Nadeeshan301posted 12 years ago

Yeah rice is good as a staple diet read more on my hub on cereals which give a good account on rice..!! Asians take rice as the staple diet the here the brown rice is the better one since it contains all the vitamins and protein and fiber Basically rice contains carbohydrates like wheat but to be slender what you should do is cut down fats and large amount of carbohydrate containing diets. Asians eat rice but they add lot of vegetables and they eat less meat. And you see rice also supply B vitamins and proteins. There is another type called parboiled rice which is high in nutrient value.

15. Tonipet profile image82
    Tonipetposted 12 years ago

White rice is healthy to every diet. It's full of fibers and essential for growth years. I'm asian and white or brown rice has been staple in my diet since I was small and I am slim to this day. Now that I'm entering my middle age (I'm still young of course :smile), I feel the need to eat carbohydrates and meat in moderation, we all do. Useful question, thank you

16. lostohanababy profile image56
    lostohanababyposted 9 years ago

No technical reason.  I enjoy eating rice with about everything and fixed in a lot of ways that are good!    Rice goes well with poultry, fish, and beef, and most wild game.  Like Venison and Bear.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)