jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

Indian Curry recipe wanted

1. IzzyM profile image90
    IzzyMposted 6 years ago

I am looking for a good recipe to make an Indian curry (English-style) at home. When I say English-style, I mean the type that is sold in Indian restaurants in the UK. I have tried ones I found on the net and they tasted awful.
    I never used to need a recipe, because there was a carry-out shop that sold great curries at the end of the street, but of course that is one of the things I left behind when I left the UK.
    I have a few spices in like tikka masala, chillies, cardamon, and others, and now have some lamb to use up. Anyone written a hub they can recommend?

1. BizGenGirl profile image90
      BizGenGirlposted 6 years agoin reply to this

That sounds delicious! Can't wait to see a recipe. Mmmmmm smile

1. IzzyM profile image90
        IzzyMposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I found a recipe for Indian curry suce, and it was almost all right. It was:

1 onion, 4 cloves of garlic, 1.24" ginger, 6 cardamon pods. Fry in oil 15 mins, then remove pods, leave seeds. add 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp coriander, fry gently for a few minutes. Put the lot in a blender and mix to to smooth paste. Add 1 tbs tomato puree and 4 tbs water, reduce heat and simmer for half an hour.
        It was almost right as I said above, but I felt something was missing. Anyone got a better one?

No curry leaves or stuff like that here in the shops so have to do it all with spices.
        Edit: there were a couple of chillis in there too.

Had written this post when I lost my internet connection. Looks interesting Sid, http://hubpages.com/hub/Mutton-Rogan-Josh-Recipe but what on earth is Asafetida Powder? The other ingredients I can get..

1. sid_candid profile image60
          sid_candidposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Asafetida Powder is used as preservative for pickles and also works as a good flavoring agent in a few curry recipes though its not mandatory to use it.

1. IzzyM profile image90

That's good to know because I have never seen it in the shops. In the UK I can buy all those spices, but Spain is a bit retarded when it comes to foreign foods. By foreign I mean foods from outside of Spain, although gradually we are seeing more British shops opening. There actually is an Indian spices shop in Benidorm, but the guys in there speak Urdu or Spanish and no English, and the names of all the spices get changed. yikes

1. sid_candid profile image60
              sid_candidposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Oh dear. That can be funny. lol

2. sid_candid profile image60
    sid_candidposted 6 years ago

Hi Izzy,
    Here is a hub I found which is about a delicious Indian Curry Recipe for Lamb. Let me know if you need more as I can provide you with more as I am from India and I know a few curry recipes. Here is the hub

http://hubpages.com/hub/Mutton-Rogan-Josh-Recipe

3. Rochelle Frank profile image96
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

Not a recipe-- but I read this hub today.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/A-Glossary-of-I … and-Spices

1. IzzyM profile image90

hey that's a pretty good hub for a newbie smile Thanks for sharing smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image96
        Rochelle Frankposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I thought it was good, too.
        We do not find curry in our area, but I do like some of the spices that were mentioned.

4. sofs profile image83
    sofsposted 6 years ago

Hi Izzy ..how did you find out that something was missing.. well that is the basic recipe for most Indian curries but we would add a couple of  table spoons of poppy seeds or cashews before we blend.. that way you get a well rounded taste.. if there is still something missing you add a dollop of fresh cream at the end to adjust the taste... hope you like your curry :smile

No need for Asafetida or curry leave  a good handful of cilantro finely chopped would be lovely if you could add it at the end.  smile

1. IzzyM profile image90

What annoys me is that there was always a good curry shop at the end of the street, but now that I'm abroad and living in the sticks, I have now got to learn to make what I used to love eating at home.

I know something is missing, but I don't know what. So I'm going to have to try and try again with as many different recipes as possible.

When I was married, the only thing my husband liked making was curries, and he got really good at it. me? I haven't a clue, but I'm willing to learn.

Yes, cilantro is coriander, yes? I grew some a couple of years back. Very pungent scent.

1. sofs profile image83
        sofsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Cilantro is  coriander leaves ... we use it a lot in our cooking smile

working