jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

Garlic turning bright blue-green...ever happened to you?

1. Sally's Trove profile image84
    Sally's Troveposted 6 years ago

Just finishing up our family's kielbasa and cabbage dish for tomorrow's Thanksgiving dinner, I took off the pot lid to find BRIGHT blue-green pieces of stuff mixed in the pot.

After researching what happened (minute traces of copper or acid can react with the sulfur in fresh garlic to make this garish color), all is good, because it's not harmful. You see, I experimented a bit today with adding sauerkraut to the recipe (something I'd never done before), and the vinegar in the kraut turned the fresh garlic neon blue. Now I have to explain to my family tomorrow why this familiar dish looks like a Peter Max accident.

Has this ever happened to you?

1. WriteAngled profile image85
      WriteAngledposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I tend to use garlic puree either from a tube or putting fresh garlic through a press, so would probably not notice.

It sounds fascinating though, and tempts me to try adding chunks of garlic to a dish I prepare using sausage with red cabbage and apple. I usually add some vinegar to that to keep the cabbage red. The hoped for result would be even more lurid. lol

Sally's Troveposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Lurid would be exactly right. You should see this color! If you took chemistry in school, you'll know that distinctive color. Sort of like corroded battery terminals, only a bit more blue.

I love red cabbage and apple with vinegar...never thought of adding garlic to it. Sounds like fun! ~~~~~~~~~~shades of LSD~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW, this garlic that turned color was fresh from a press.

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

No it's never happened to me. lol

lol

1. Cagsil profile image60
        Cagsilposted 6 years agoin reply to this

The next question should be what exactly?

How come it's never happened to me before? Answer: I've never cooked those things together before...that's why. tongue

Then you need more garlic and vinegar in your life. smile

1. Cagsil profile image60
            Cagsilposted 6 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

working