Homemade Cranberry Sorbet
Cranberries are best known as the the tart and tangy berry of countless Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations. But cranberries also have their place in the warm months of the year, and not just as an off-season sauce. Try turning a handful of frozen cranberries into a delicious, homemade cranberry sorbet.
This recipe is quick and easy to make at home, and it produces a very pretty scoop to serve. Homemade cranberry sorbet comes out in a bright, not-quite blood-red hue with a hint of cheery hot pink.
The sorbet is mostly sweet, slightly puckery and very refreshingly icy. It's a good, if unusual, summer treat.
Ingredients for Cranberry Sorbet
- 2 cups of frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of water
- Optional: a dash of freshly squeezed orange juice
- Optional: flecks of orange rind
- Measuring cups
- Ice cream maker
What To Do
- Combine the cranberries, water and sugar together in the blender.
- Blend until the mixture is mostly uniform and the sugar has dissolved. Unlike with some sorbets, your goal is not a finely blended purée. The cranberry mixture should remain a little coarse. The finished sorbet will have texture from the cranberry seeds and the cranberry skin.
- Pour the sorbet into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the machine's directions. In a 1-quart, gel canister ice cream maker, the cranberry sorbet should freeze in about half an hour.
- Add an orange: Make this sorbet a summertime replacement for cranberry relish. Substitute fresh orange juice for some of the water and add grated orange rind to the mixture.
Try More Homemade Berry Sorbet Recipes
Click edit above to add content to this empty capsule.
- How To Make Blueberry
Freeze blueberries and bananas together in a homemade sorbet, and the result is a sweet, smooth scoop in the prettiest shade of pale lavender.
To Make Strawberry Sorbet
Making strawberry sorbet is surprisingly quick and easy, and the homemade product tastes of summer simplicity and sweet, strawberry goodness. All that's required: berries, sugar, water, citrus juice and an ice cream maker.
- How To Make Homemade
Looking for the perfect summer dessert? Fresh raspberry sorbet is quick and easy to make at home, and it's also delicious.
Even More Sorbet Flavors
- Homemade Watermelon Sorbet
Few foods convey summer simplicity better than watermelon. Even when watermelon is dressed up as a sorbet, it demands little fuss and little company.
- Homemade Grapefruit Sorbet
The subdued sweetness of grapefruit sorbet is well matched by the pale pink color of each icy serving. If you'd love to try a dessert that mixes tangy and bitter flavors, this is it.
- How To Make Kiwi Lime Sorbet
Kiwi fruit makes an unusual, but tasty, sorbet ingredient. This sorbet recipe combines ripe kiwi fruit and fresh lime juice into a unique, homemade frozen dessert.
- Homemade Honey Peach Sorbet
Nothing is more summery than fresh peaches, and nothing is more welcome on a hot, sultry day than a bowl of homemade honey peach sorbet.
- How to Make Homemade Mango Sorbet
Mango sorbet is amazingly quick and easy to make at home. Only three ingredients. Only three steps: Blend, freeze and eat.
- Homemade Apricot Sorbet
Ripe apricots are some of summer's finest fruits. They're soft, sweet and swollen with coral-hued juice. Capture the fresh taste of apricots with this homemade apricot sorbet.