How To Make Homemade Grapefruit Sorbet
The subdued sweetness of grapefruit sorbet is well matched by the pale pink color of each icy serving.
Be warned, though: Grapefruit sorbet may not be for you if you don't care for the bitter taste of grapefruit pith. More than just pure, juicy grapefruit flesh is ground into this sorbet — a hint of the clingy, white stuff that surrounds the flesh makes it in, too. It's intentional.
The result: If you'd love to try a dessert that mixes tangy and bitter flavors, this is truly it.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large grapefruit, preferably pink or red grapefruit
- Knife and cutting surface
- Measuring cups
- Ice cream maker
What To Do
- Peel the grapefruit as you would peel an orange. Remove the rind, bu leave the white pith on the grapefruit.
- Cut or pull the grapefruit into chunks that are small enough to fit in a blender.
- Add the water and the sugar.
- Blend very thoroughly until the mixture is very smooth.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze. This should take about half an hour in a small, gel canister ice cream maker. This will vary from ice maker to ice cream maker.
- Serve at once. Enjoy!
Try More Homemade Fruit Sorbet Flavors
- Homemade Cranberry Sorbet
Homemade cranberry sorbet comes out in a bright red hue with a hint of cheery hot pink. The tart and tangy taste of cranberry makes this sorbet an unusual summer treat.
- Homemade Watermelon Sorbet
Few foods convey summer simplicity better than watermelon. Even when watermelon is dressed up as a sorbet, it demands little fuss and little company.
- Homemade Apricot Sorbet
Ripe apricots are some of summer's finest fruits. They're soft, sweet and swollen with coral-hued juice. Capture the fresh taste of apricots with this homemade apricot sorbet.
- How To Make Blueberry Sorbet
Freeze blueberries and bananas together in a homemade sorbet, and the result is a sweet, smooth scoop in the prettiest shade of pale lavender.
- How To Make Kiwi Lime Sorbet
Kiwi fruit makes an unusual, but tasty, sorbet ingredient. This sorbet recipe combines ripe kiwi fruit and fresh lime juice into a unique, homemade frozen dessert.
- How to Make Homemade Mango Sorbet
Mango sorbet is amazingly quick and easy to make at home. Only three ingredients. Only three steps: Blend, freeze and eat.
- How To Make Strawberry Sorbet
Making strawberry sorbet is surprisingly quick and easy, and the homemade product tastes of summer simplicity and sweet, strawberry goodness. All that's required: berries, sugar, water, citrus juice and an ice cream maker.
- How To Make Homemade Raspberry Sorbet
Looking for the perfect summer dessert? Fresh raspberry sorbet is quick and easy to make at home, and it's also delicious.
- Homemade Honey Peach Sorbet
Nothing is more summery than fresh peaches, and nothing is more welcome on a hot, sultry day than a bowl of homemade honey peach sorbet.