Sunflower Seed Soup With Lemongrass, Scallions & Celery (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
The Sunshine Soup!
This creamy soup has all the richness without the fat. It's made with sunflower seed cream and nutritional yeast to give it body so it doesn't stick to yours. Scallions and celery give it texture while saffron, nutmeg and lemongrass brighten up the flavor. You can add some whole sunflower seeds for extra crunch or drizzle maple agave syrup on top for sweetness. A nice accompaniment for this dish is my sunflower seed quinoa flour flatbread. Toast it...dunk it....and while you're at it-make a double batch and spread the sunshine!
To make sunflower seed cream: soak 2 tablespoons of sunflower seeds in 3 tablespoons of water overnight and blend.
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 4 chopped scallions
- 1 chopped stalk of celery
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons of lemongrass paste
- 4 ounces sunflower seed cream
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes with vitamin B12
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 10 strands of saffron
- Saute' celery and scallions in oil until soft.
- Add water, sunflower seed cream, yeast and spices.
- Simmer until soup is thickened and creamy.
This Is How It's Done! XO
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.