What Is Reality?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (26 posts)
  1. TruthDebater profile image53
    TruthDebaterposted 13 years ago

What do you believe reality is? If reality is based on real things, how is it that somes reality is based or guided by things that can't be proven or observed?

What is real belief and reality?

1. profile image49
      gavinolposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

TruthDebaterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. Isn't everything's existence based on our perception and others of how it appears? How can we know something exists without using thought, measurement, or appearance?

2. Ladybird33 profile image65
    Ladybird33posted 13 years ago

Great questions and I think reality depends on the sole person and what they believe.  Reality is what you make it (to me).  Individual tastes for this unique question.  Good one!

Thanks. I think reality is pretty confusing when analyzed. I wish my reality was not thinking about what my reality is some times. lol

3. prettydarkhorse profile image55
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

good question!

what is the difference between reality and truth?

Thanks. I think reality, real, and truth, are all connected. What are the universal truths and reality that all share?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image55
        prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

simple truths like we have two eyes, human beings have two eyes

Thanks, but is that always a truth? Because most of us are born with 2 eyes and don't witness every single birth, how can we be sure? The past or most probable doesn't always determine the future. A person could be born with a mutation of having more or less than two eyes.

2. getitrite profile image72
      getitriteposted 13 years ago

Just as we can't fathom infinity, we cannot fathom reality--because infinity is part of reality--at least, it seems to be.

Thanks, I agree because of our expanding universe. But how do we know it will be infinite in the future? We can only predict the probabilities.  Couldn't infinite also be an illusion if the universe reverses into nothing?

1. getitrite profile image72
          getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Theoretically, in the space-time continuum, both time and space are infinite. 

If infinity is an illusion, then, that would make everything finite, by default.

I cannot fathom a finite reality where time actually ends, nor can I fathom a reality where time is eternal.  Because if time is infinite-which means it is eternal in both directions-then that means time never started.  How can it be that time never started?  Start is a finite term-the same as stop.  It can't be applied to infinite subjects.

Which means you and I are not really here, because time never started.

1. Jerami profile image58
            Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you drop a rock in the lake;  the the outer wave band goes out in every direction.  It is that simple!  Time doesn't just go in one forward direction!  Or  two, forward and backward.    Time travels just like that wave does.  In every direction.

1. getitrite profile image72
              getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No. Your perception is a finite definition of time.  Your dropping a rock in the lake analogy is nothing more than a narrow view, and a finite explanation.

THERE IS NO STARTING POINT FOR TIME, therefore, since your rock, landing in the lake, is the beginning of the waves, you have violated the theory of infinity by, in essence, giving time a starting point.

Thank you for informing me that I have a narrow vied..

BUT   It is really that simple.

The bid bang theory is correct.  God said let it be and Bang there it was.  The sound of BANG  went out in EVERY direction carying anong with it  Many things including TIME.

Thats my story and I'm sticking with it.

2. TruthDebater profile image53

Thanks getitrite. You are losing me this "time". lol
            When everything seems to have a finite amount of time to exist or stay alive as a whole, why would time be infinite without an end to it's existence when everything else ends?

If numbers are said to be infinite like time, why do numbers have starting points? Are numbers our creation or our discovery?

3. cherilsword profile image60
      cherilswordposted 13 years ago

Jesus said in my Father's Mansion there are many rooms. Just like the many different rooms in a home define different aspects of physical life, there are also many different aspects of dimensional reality in the Universe. We are multi dimensional beings and experience these realities, but with physical understanding. The one thing that all of reality has in common is the ability to understand the higher ideals of integrity which come from happiness, joy, peace, and love.

Thanks. How could you possibly know everyone has ability to understand those things you mentioned unless you were everyone? Many have more opened doors than others raised by different realities.

2. IntimatEvolution profile image69
        IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Brilliantly worded. 

Yes, you hit the nail on top of the head.

A rare occurence for me, thank you.

4. profile image0
      Kathryn LJposted 13 years ago

I'll tell you what reality is, it's working in a dead end job to provide for your family, rarely being appreciated, often being taken for granted but mostly just gritting your teeth and getting through it.  That is the horrible reality for a great many people, not God, big bang or philosophy, just grinding, gross reality.  There I said it, I feel better now.

You are absolutely correct.  That is reality for far too many people.  I'd say that it is the "not" being appreciated part that makes it seem like it is too hard to carry.

An adequate amount of love coming at ya, makes not being properly appreciated  a little more tolerable, 
          I ‘m not judging nuttin  or giving advice.
          Just saying that nobody can be their best without Love.
        Everybody gotta have it and most people gotta give it.
        Life is supposed to be a Natural balance of giving and getting.  With no scorekeeper.

When I get to feeling bad, I try to think of a dozen situations that I'd rather "NOT" be in  MORE than the one that I am in.   That is usually easy to do when we are honest with ourselves.

5. RKHenry profile image63
      RKHenryposted 13 years ago

Reality is whatever you want it to be.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Some of us have a glass half full and some of us have a glass  half empty.

And some of us have an ice cold mug and a six pack.

Thanks RK, I agree with Jerami, some of the glasses are already picked with less free will of what drink to choose.

I want to agree with you, but it is difficult. If it was simply what a person wanted, couldn't they wish without working to make the reality true? If a person believes a reality without observational evidence, how is it real without proof? Isn't this like using faith without action? People can work their entire lives without ever finding or getting what they want, why is this?

6. EnergyAdvisor profile image67
      EnergyAdvisorposted 13 years ago

Reality as we know it has been molded into our awareness from the moment we were born. In order to perceive other realms of reality we have to enhance our awareness. We have to break the fixation of our awareness in order to regroup it on a different place. We have to break out of our mold, out of the box. One of the most difficult boxes to break is the ego. We defend it by all means. We even die for it. Our ideas of the world like, we live in a world of concrete objects are also part of the mold. When I'm in a dream state the objects seem as concrete as in waking state.

I still didn't answer the question right?
      Well my answer is, I'm still in search....

Thanks. I partly agree with you that the ego limits awareness and reality, but it could also enhance depending on the awareness of ego. Many peoples ego motivate them to gain a higher awareness to understand others. If none has ego or confidence to believe they can learn anothers reality, why would they try? Afterall, it may be impossible to know anothers reality unless you are them. The only reality may be to gain insight and awareness of their reality, doesn't mean there will ever be true understanding or vision.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)