Another Boston Celtics Topic

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)
  1. LakeShow T profile image74
    LakeShow Tposted 13 years ago

I think the Celtics have done a great job this off season. Once the Finals were over, some were expecting them to rebuild amidst rumors Doc Rivers was going to retire. If that would have happened, Ray Allen would have been gone and they would not have resigned Pierce. Instead, Rivers decides to give it one more shot and now things have fallen into place quite nicely. They kept the big 3+1 ((or 1+3,Big 4, big 3 plus KG (LoL) or whatever you want to call it)) in tact. Let's face it, Rajon Rondo is their best player. Back to my point though. They also signed Shaquille O'Neal, Jermaine O'Neal, and just picked up Delonte West, who is a nice player when his head is on straight.

From their top player down to the last man who will make the team, the Celtics have the best roster in the league. Arguably, they also play "team basketball"  better than any other team in the league. Finally, imagine the Celtics with a starting lineup composed of 5 potential future Hall of Famers. Rondo, Allen, Pierce, KG, ShaQ. That is amazing to think about. Although I know they currently have Jermaine O'Neal starting ahead of ShaQ, I am sure we will see ShaQ in that starting 5 in no time, considering Jermaine O'Neal's history of injuries.

What does all of this mean? I'm not sure. I think they will obviously contend for a title one more year as they have pushed all of their chips into the middle of the table. I just may make them my favorites to win the East once again. We'll see what happens.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I live in Mass and I am not a basketball fan. However, the Celtics before any acquiring of anyone, already had a formidable team and could contend. I think what they have added, if they get along, then will remain contenders and possibly win their division.

Another however, I'm still not interested in whether or not they do.

I make no apologies- I'm a Boston RedSox fan and a Dallas Cowboy Fan. Baseball and Football, the only two professional sports I follow.

3. Mike Lickteig profile image76
    Mike Lickteigposted 13 years ago

A big key for the Celtics will be the health of Kendrick Perkins, who will be out at least until January or February.  Jermaine O'Neal and Shaq were nice acquisitions, but their game differs from Perkins and the now-retired Rasheed Wallace.  Wallace was primarily a perimeter player and Perkins doesn't need the ball.  Shaq and Jermaine both like to score.

Having said that, I think O'Neal and O'Neal are good acquisitions.  They will help Boston a great deal.  Delonte West is a good pick-up also.  They still lack a back-up on the wing to sub for Paul Pierce and Ray Allen.  The loss of Tony Allen still needs to be addressed.

I would love to see Boston make its way back to the Finals and one last showdown with the Lakers.  Shaquille O'Neal in a Celtics uniform would add considerable drama to the series.

LakeShow Tposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree that Kendrick Perkins is very important to the Celtics, as he is one of the best defensive centers in the league. However, I do not think they plan to get much out of him when he comes back and that is why they picked up the two O'Neals. Either that, or they are going to limit KG even more in the regular season than they have the last two years.

Once again, what the Celtics did was very smart. Now they will have Jermaine O'Neal, ShaQ, and Kendrick Perkins to match up with Dwight Howard and the Orlando Magic. Perhaps more importantly, I think it gives them a huge match-up advantage with the Miami Heat. Who on the Miami Heat would be able to defend Shaq? I don't think anyone. Chicago also has a formidable team and I am interested to see where they will fall into the hierarchy in the East. 

Ultimately, I would love to see the Lakers and Celtics once again as well. Although I am a Laker fan, I think the Celtics blew them away in terms of offseason improvements, which is important, considering how closely matched the teams were in the finals.

1. Godwin Nwando profile image59
        Godwin Nwandoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting how you see the Boston celtics, however, they still have age and although that will not affect them in the playoffs, It will hurt in the regular season when determining playoff seeding and home field. I like the celtics moves as well, still, wil they be enough to match the Miami Heat moves, we will see.

LakeShow Tposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do agree that the Celtics will not have a "great" regular season and they will probably be the #4 or 5 seed in the Eastern Conference. They did the same thing last season when they were a #4 seed. They were counted out by many as they had a record around .500 after the all-star break. That's the thing with experienced/championship teams though. The regular season is not that important. The main objective is to have players rested and injury-free going into the playoffs for those teams. The LA Lakers were the same way in the beginning of the decade. They would get a #4-6 seed in the West and then march to the finals. The same thing is also true of the Houston Rockets in the mid-90's. Home-court advantage is nice, but it is far more important for those teams who do not yet have the championship heart and experience to win on the road.

As for them matching up with Miami, that is a tough call. Nobody knows how great the Heat will be, as there really has never been a team with the sort of dynamic they being to the table. One thing I do believe though is that when that team is on the ropes or facing adversity, it will be Dwayne Wade who carries them. Very few have shown the kind of Championship heart and desire that he showed in the NBA Finals against the Mavs. He is the one guy for them who has that experience, heart, and no fear of failure.

4. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Perkins is a big help as well, West is an addition, good shooting guard (sp. when R Allen can't seem to score his 3 points)

All in all, they are still the team to beat same with the Lakers of course

Let us see what Wade can do with LBJ, he can be the lead of the team -- Miami Heat

5. ocbill profile image52
    ocbillposted 13 years ago

All these signings but what they lacked all year long was - OFFENSE. if pierce went cold or Rondo disappeared they were done for. Allen is washed up. His 8 3s in the finals were an anomaly.  Hey, I am not a Laker fan, but not a hater either. I was rootin' for the Cs. yeah, Perkins would've lessened the offensive rebounding somewhat in game 7. They lost by 4 with really no offense, no rebounding.
    I think they should've went for a perimeter defender like LA did with Matt Barnes and get one more offensive threat. Both O'neals do neither of these things.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)