Anybody who visited London, Edinburgh (Leed/Peterborough ), Paris

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)
  1. noelsy profile image60
    noelsyposted 13 years ago

We are First time travellers to London and Paris

Day 1: Arrive Heathrow 0 & then travel to Edinburgh
    Day 2: Edinburgh
    Day 3: Edinburgh
    Day 4: Edinburgh to Leeds
    Day 5: Leeds to Peterborough
    Day 6: Peterborough to London
    Day 7: London - Oxford
    Day 8: Bath and Stone henge
    Day 9: Greenwich/Legoland/Windsor Castle
    Day 10: London to Paris by Eurostar
    Day 11 to 13:  Paris
    Day 14: Paris to London
    Day 15: London
    Day 16: London

Our questions are:
    (1) how to select around 6 Museum of London and Paris?
    (2) difficult to drive from Edinburgh to London via Leeds and Peterborough
    (3) any tourist sites at Leeds and Peterborough

Thank you.

2. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Its not difficult to drive from Edinburgh to London via Leeds and Peterborough, but I would be sure to give yourselves enough time.

In London there is the British Museum, the Museum of London, the Science Museum, the Natural History Museum, the Victoria & Albert Musuem and a host of others.  In Paris you can spend years in the Louvre and there are loads of great galleries.

Leeds and Peterborough are not noted tourist destinations, but Leeds has got good shopping and you can go up into the Yorkshire Dales etc.  Peterborough has a cathedral.

Why not travel by train rather than drive?

3. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

I agree train is best and make sure that you book in advance via the train line to get the cheapest tickets. Peterborough is Ok, Leeds is ok why you would want to visit them in preference to other places is beyond me. Stonehenge is over rated- it is a load of stones and the facilities are primitive-
    Bath is superb ( I lived there as a child) very romanesque- fantastic georgian archietecture - very hilly.
    I agree with suggestions re the museums. we spent a day in the British Museum and we did need a whole day.
    try looking at english heritage website or the national trust website- that will give you a flavour of what the country has to offer.

4. Polly C profile image89
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

You need a whole day for Legoland (day 9) you will not have time to fit all those three things into one day.

5. Polly C profile image89
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

How about visiting York instead of Leeds, or in addition to. York is a lovely place, much better than Leeds.

6. Princessa profile image81
    Princessaposted 13 years ago

There are plenty of museums to visit in Paris depending on what you really like.  From the famous Louvre to wine and dolls museums.

Personally, for a first time in Paris considering that you are only going to spend 2 days over here I would just relax and enjoy Paris for what it really is, a beautiful city.  Long walks along its more touristic streets, teamed with lots of food and wine tasting is what I would go for.

noelsyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for advice.

Friends are  living in Leeds and Peterborough.  Just wonder if we should meet on Sat/Sun at London instead of stopping over these 2 places. 

How long can we save in jtransportation hours by train instead of by car from Edinburgh to London?

1. Polly C profile image89
        Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, it's up to you whether you want to go straight to London, London is good but not a true reflection of the rest of England so seeing other places in addition to it is worthwhile. However, Leeds and Peterborough are not really known as popular places of interests for tourists, there are many better places. If you have time I still think York is worth a visit, perhaps you could do that with your friend in Leeds. Heading down towards  Peterborough the other place I can think of that I have been to is Lincoln, which is quite a nice place. Peterborough is not the best tourist destination, but if you did stay there with your friend you could maybe head into north norfolk which is very beautiful, Sandringham, the Queen's estate is not too far to go and very nice. I know it will not be too warm, but the beaches of north Norfolk are wild and beautiful, we visit out of season sometimes.

I live in Norwich in Norfolk, a couple of hours from Peterborough. Now norwich is quite popular with visitors and is a little bit like York, but perhaps a bit off route for you.

I don't know the difference for travel times between driving and taking the train from Edinburgh, but my choice would be the train. Motorway driving can be a bit hellish if you are not used to it - and don't forget you have to drive onthe left!! Ti find out all the train info go on National Rail Enquiries, they have a website.

1. Polly C profile image89
          Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mind you the train will be very expensive for a journey of that distance, possibly even more than flying.  The UK is not noted for cheap public transport!

Thanks, Polly.  I do bear in mind of York, Lincoln... yes, in fact, we are not a daily " driver"  even in home country too.  I have the hesitation to rent a car too. 
            Yes, do check the national rail website; it is informative.

1. CMHypno profile image82
              CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you book train tickets in advance you can get some good deals - check out the trainline.com, and sometimes you can get two singles cheaper than a return.  Also check out first class as I usually get good deals on those seats - cheaper than in economy.

Thans, CMHtypno.

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

with only a few days in Paris, that's tough to decide what to see.  there are so many wonderful diversions! the Louvre can easily take a full day. to walk around the grounds and the Tuileries is breathtaking.  if you want to see a world class museum that wouldn't take a full day, you could visit Musee d'Orsay which is not only beautiful, but filled with outstanding art from Rodin to Renoir and Monet.

use the metro in Paris, it's very easy and there are stations everywhere well marked.

I have a few hubs on my trip to Paris as well as Princessa who lives in France. sounds like an amazing trip. enjoy!!

Good idea, thanks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)