Need help : Hypothyroid

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)
  1. alertswiftreview profile image59
    alertswiftreviewposted 13 years ago

I am suffering from hypothyroid from past one month; so I start taking the medicine from my consultant doctor. But I am so much worried about that calcium is getting loss from my body as i am feeling very sleepy and weak. So can I also start taking the calcium tablets with thyroxin medicine. I also asked my doctor but he siad there is no need to take calcium tablets. But I want some experts oppinion on it; so please help me about it.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What makes you think your body is losing calcium? Feeling very sleepy and weak is a major symptom of hypothyroidism - meaning your body is not producing enough thyroxine. Listen to your doctor.

2. motherbeastly profile image60
      motherbeastlyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was diagnosed with Hashimotos hypothyroidism a number of years ago and i have never heard of having to take calcium.  I found that once my drug dosage was correct all the tiredness and weakness went.  Speak to your doctor about this, no-one else is as qualified to diagnose you.  He can also see you face to face and will know what to do for the best.

2. 1974 profile image68
    1974posted 13 years ago

Your doctor is an expert opinion, listen to him/her

3. Lily Rose profile image86
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

I was diagnosed with Hashimotos Hypothyroidism a year ago and have been taking Synthroid daily ever since.  I have never heard of a calcium suplement with thyroxine.  I'm not a medical expert at all, but I do know that Calcium is important.  Perhaps you need just a regular calcium supplement - ask your endo or primary doctor.  I take 2 Viactiv chewables every day - they taste like chocolate so it helps satisfy my sweet tooth, yet it's a calcium and vitamin-D supplement.

I hope that before telling you that you don't need calcium tablets that doctor talked with you and determined that you get enough calcium from the food you eat - if not, that I think that's a very irresponsible statement from a doctor.

4. debrah48 profile image61
    debrah48posted 13 years ago

With the exception of certain conditions, the treatment of hypothyroidism requires life-long therapy. Before synthetic levothyroxine (T4) was available, desiccated thyroid tablets were used. Desiccated thyroid was obtained from animal thyroid glands, which lacked consistency of potency from batch to batch. Presently, a pure, synthetic T4 is widely available. Therefore, there is no reason to use desiccated thyroid extract.

As described above, the most active thyroid hormone is actually T3. So why do physicians choose to treat patients with the T4 form of thyroid? T3 [liothyronine sodium (Cytomel)] is available and there are certain indications for its use. However, for the majority of patients, a form of T4 [levothyroxine sodium (Levoxyl, Synthroid)] is the preferred treatment. This is a more stable form of thyroid hormone and requires once a day dosing, whereas T3 is much shorter-acting and needs to be taken multiple times a day. In the overwhelming majority of patients, synthetic T4 is readily and steadily converted to T3 naturally in the bloodstream, and this conversion is appropriately regulated by the body's tissues.

For more information visit: http://www.medicinenet.com/hypothyroidi … htm#toc7at

5. Lifeallstar1 profile image59
    Lifeallstar1posted 13 years ago

I take synthroid for hypothyroidism. I had horrible fatigue. Since you've been on medication for a month, I would ask to re-test levels. See if the levels are too high (which means you're taking too high of a dosage) or too low (not enough or doctor might say the med needs more time to raise levels) to find out if your thyroid is back on track. Calcium shouldn't be an issue but if you're worried the doctor can test your calcium level. I wouldn't take anything unless you're lacking it. Even all nature products can be harmful although a little extra calcium shouldn't but its best to get the proper dosage from your doctor. If you don't like the advice from your doctor then try another doctor for a second opinion.

6. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

It can be dangerous to seek medical advice online - the best experts to consult with are those you can see face to face.

7. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 13 years ago

I've been on levothyroxine/synthroid for hypothyroidism since I was 12 years old. I have never, ever heard or read anything that suggested taking the hormone causes calcium loss, or that it requires additional calcium supplementation. You should follow the advice of your doctor and not get worried about risks that don't exist.

8. profile image0
    Amie Warrenposted 13 years ago

All I want to say is be sure to take your calcium supplements at night. It's absorbed better that way, and calcium alone won't help you. If you don't take a multi-vitamin with zinc and magnesium in it, or take a zinc-calciium-magnesium supplement along with a regular multi, it won't be absorbed anyway. You have to have the right combination of vitamins and minerals for your body to utilize calcium.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)