Amazon

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years ago

Hi folks--
       I just set up my Amazon affiliate account a couple of days ago.  I do not expect that I would have any earnings yet, and I do not.

My 2 questions are about other aspects of how Amazon works.

1)  I logged into my Amazon account, and saw this message:

"Referral Rate4.00%. Increase your referral rate to 6.00% by referring 7 more items."

I do not understand.  At first (morning, not fully awake yet), I read it as "...7 OR more items...")  I've got way more than 7 items in my Amazon capsules.  Does this mean 7 items total, or 7 items per capsule?  Or is there a base number that I need to increase by 7?  (I don't know what that 'mystery number' might be.....)

2)  I am having trouble with the "select specific items" function.   It seems to refer only to books.  There were two different ISBN fields available within the Amazon site, "ISBN-10" and ISBN-13."  I did not know which one to choose, so I tried both: first one, then the other.

I was stunned to get back a message (3 or 4 times) along the lines of, "unable to find any such item."  HUH?????  I had copy-pasted the numbers directly from Amazon's site--how could they claim 'no such item' when it's right there and came up easily on a search within Amazon?????  I was able to successfully use the ISBN for only a single book.

So, I seem to be stuck using the keywords search only.  I see other people's hubs with a wide assortment of products, not just books, in their Amazon capsules, yet when I search "all fields,"  only books come up.  If I search a specific category other than books, I usually get "no results found."  (Don't get me wrong--I love books!  But other readers might like to see other products.)

Is this a glitch on the HP end?  Or on Amazon's end?  Or am I missing something?

Thanks for any ligt anyone can shed on this mystery.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

I am not an amazon expert-- but I think think the 'referrals' they speak of means sales, and I believe the more sales you make in a month, the more your percentage moves up.
    ISBN numbers: 10 is an older number (ten digits) 13 (thirteen digits) a newer one-- I guess they finally ran out of numbers in the old system. I would think that whichever one is posted with the book would work.
    Published works have ISBN numbers, as I'm sure you know. I think other products have a code number given by Amazon.
    I usually just type in the exact name of the product and it comes up with the one I want.
    If you get the book you want listed, you can always add a new Amazon capsule for other products pertaining to the subject.  I don't think there's a limit to the number of capsules you can have.

DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Rochelle..
         Hmm....there were several books that carried both ISBN numbers!  yikes

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My book was published before they went to 13, then I had to  update the  the registered number. I didn't have to put the new number on my old inventory, but I just checked my amazon listing-- and you are right, both numbers are listed.

3. 2uesday profile image64
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

I find it is easier to make a Amazon product hub by having Amazon.com open and HubPages - using the Amazon.com site I either leave  the setting on all (departments) (at top of page) or select a group such as home and garden.

Then in the search box I type in a wide or narrow search for the products I am looking for. Once I have selected an item I copy and past the code into the Amazon capsule.

The referral rate - there is a page you can look on that explains it - referral in this instance means sales; I believe. You will see as orders come in - ordered or shipped - it takes a while to go thro' as items are returned and deducted from your account sometimes.
    Hope that helps a bit.

4. ns1209 profile image64
    ns1209posted 13 years ago

This will be a short reply but will answer your questions.

1) This means 7 more sales in total (not on one hubpages, hubpages overall) - on you Amazon associates account.

2) I just copy the whole URL and it works and saves time!

Good luck and I hope you find out!

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years ago

Ohhhh--kayyy---
      Thank you everyone..  hmm... a 4% referral rate I aleady have with NO sales????  Interesting.....

Oh, well, I'll keep plugging away at it... wink

6. geargirl113 profile image59
    geargirl113posted 13 years ago

Referrals equal sales that have shipped. For example, I had 6 sales in October that did not ship until yesterday. They count toward my referrals for November.

As far individual items, you can copy and past the url of the amazon item that you want into the capsule. It should automatically bring up the item when you hit preview. Hope this helps.

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have found that some items, especially the Apple iPad, don't seem to work on the Amazon Module - for these I tend to try and create a separate Amazon Module and use the search feature - not sure why there are some items that don't work though - perhaps searching for the same item and seeing if there is a different 'ID' might work?

7. thisisoli profile image73
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

The referral rate refers to the percentage you get form each sale, it's not a conversion rate or similar.

When it comes to the item numbers not working, the item number is not necessarily the ISBN, it is the number in the URL, you can simply copy the URL though.

ok, thisisoli, thanks for that info!  I'll try that next time!  ;-)  Cheers!

8. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

isbn = International Standard Book Number , which is why you can only get books with it!

You should be looking for a ASIN, Amazon Standard Identification Number - to find other specific products

Ah, ok... when I used the keyword search mostly only books came up.  On one hub I got 'no results' on books, which is where I ran into trouble with going to Amazon, successfully finding the exact book I wanted, and then having it come back with "no such item" after I copied/pasted the ISBN number.  Weird.

9. lakeerieartists profile image62
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

As to ISBN 10 or 13 numbers, several years ago the numbers were expanded to 13 but everyone uses the shorter numbers still if they are available for an item.  You can use either one on just about any system and they work fine, but they are only for books.  Other items have other coding systems.

Instead of using the entire URL, you can use just the ASIN for any item in the Hubpages capsules.

Hi, lakeerieartists,

great...I'll try that... I agree with 2uesday it might be easier to have another tab open to Amazon while doing this.  wink

Cheers!

10. profile image52
    theipadtesterposted 13 years ago

I totally agree with ns1209..I have tried the first one by myself and it worked magic.!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)