Felix Hernandez wins AL Cy Young Award

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)
  1. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

This was the most discussed award this postseason. In the end, Felix Hernandez won because he was clearly the best pitcher in the American League. His record may have only been 13-12, but he played for a team that had one of the worst offenses in history. Hernandez had the best ERA and the most innings pitched, and that was more important to voters than C.C. Sabathia's 21 wins, which were backed by a powerhouse Yankees lineup.

The top 3 in BBWAA voting were as follows:
    1. Felix Hernandez
    2. David Price
    3. C.C. Sabathia

1. bogerk profile image71
      bogerkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just wrote a Hub on this topic. Very interesting decision, and I support it 100%. As a Brewers fan, I remember many seasons where Ben Sheets dominated on the mound but never received any recognition due to his terrible win/loss ratio every season due to awful run support.

Congratulations to Roy Halladay and Felix Hernandez! Both Certainly were the best in 2010, "The Year of the Pitcher."

2. rotl profile image60
    rotlposted 13 years ago

I don't know about this one. Seems like an anti-Yankee vote to me. Maybe baseball "purists" saw this coming but I certainly didn't. I guess its nice to see that players from terrible teams can win the league "MVP" award unlike football. The Mariners don't deserve him in any case, and I wonder if part of why he won was because "hey, if he was on the Yankees with that run support, he would have won 30+ games!" I mean do the most accurate quarterbacks win MVPs because "if they had better receivers they would have x amount of yards and TDs"?

I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well Hernandez lost a painful number of 1-0 and 2-1 games this season. Sabathia was worse in every category except for wins. The run support was the major difference. Sabathia got about 6 runs per start, while Hernandez got about 3 runs. Those two pitchers happened to have the best and worst run support in the league, respectively.

The Mariners, quite frankly, don't deserve anyone with talent right now. In addition to Hernandez, they also had Cliff Lee for half a season, and they had one of the best fielding teams in baseball. Yet they finished with a horrible record. That's how bad the hitting was. They had Ichiro getting his singles at the top of the lineup, and then nothing from the next 8 batters.

1. jobister profile image60
        jobisterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hernandez doesn't seem like the obvious choice, but he does make a case for himself and I agree with DB Cooper. 2nd in strikeouts (by 1), lowest ERA. Plus the award is not for the whole team, it is for his individual performance.

1. bogerk profile image71
          bogerkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It will be interesting to see if the same theory is applied in the MVP race where Carlos Gonzalez arguably had the best overall stats in the NL, but I assume due to team success that Joey Votto will win the award.

The difference there is that a lot of voters define "most valuable player" as different from "best player". That's why there are rarely winners from bad teams. They figure "how valuable can a player be if his team was terrible?" The criteria for the Cy Young Award specifically states that it should go to the best pitcher in the league.

3. rotl profile image60
    rotlposted 13 years ago

I still can't believe this one...  13 wins and 12 losses... come on a man! His era was 2 something... if it was 1 something, maybe. I guess everyone does hate the Yankees... what does CC need to do, win 30 games?

What C.C. needs to do is pitch better. A 3.18 ERA is not terribly impressive. He won a lot of games because he had the top offense in the American League backing him. Winning 20 games shouldn' t automatically win him the award, especially when he received the best run support of any pitcher in baseball. Hernandez was nearly a run better over 9 innings compared to Sabathia. If they had been closer, Sabathia would have had the edge because of the record, but in this case the difference between the two was just too great.

It just goes to show how important offense is to a pitcher's win-loss record. Sabathia had the best run support, while Hernandez's run support was dead-last in baseball. I wrote a Hub on this topic and I switched the run support around and evaluated each pitcher start-for-start (they each started 34 games). Sabathia would have lost 17 games and had a losing record with Hernandez's run support.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)