In a banal setting at an inconvienent time, would beauty transcend?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (23 posts)
  1. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

Would we stop to appreciate it?  Would we recognize talent in an unexpected context?

couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If  you were running late on your way to work or an important meeting, and you passed a famous singer doing an impromptu performance for a small crowd on the street, someone whose music you really liked, would you stop and listen for awhile even though it would make you late for your meeting?

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...yes...do it all the time...i see what is all around me...didn't always, but i do now...

Is that you holding a guitar?  Ok, not fair.

2. Shahid Bukhari profile image59
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are moments ... when this happens ... but this happens to the beholder ... not to Beauty ... per se.

Beauty ... is Perfection ... just there ... in Being ... for beholding;
      one, what at times, may transcend human
      experiential ... for
      our experiencing ... can be homely ... banal, or routine ...
      or just plain divine.

3. PhoenixV profile image63
      PhoenixVposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What if the banal setting at an inconvenient time "is" the beauty? Would we recognize it?

1. hillrider profile image61
        hillriderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, meanwhile smiling at the irony ...

2. couturepopcafe profile image60

Makes no difference.  Would that beauty transcend?  Would you recognize it?

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

Sometimes people have things to do, and can't be distracted.

That is true.

3. Jaggedfrost profile image60
    Jaggedfrostposted 13 years ago

I am not sure about the former premise because my days are purposely loose enough so that I am able to enjoy the flowers as I pass them regardless of what might otherwise be pressing.  I am not sure if that is a good thing or not though.

The wisdom of age?

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

That's why I said 'some people'.  When I am going to work I am going to work.  I don't stop.

5. Jaggedfrost profile image60

lol psycheskinner, I wasn't commenting on your comment, I think we may of submitted our comments at roughly the same time lol.

Maybe a forum of creatives is the wrong place to ask this question.  Generally, creatives and sensitives tend to be more aware of what's going on around them and may even try to stop and smell the roses against their better judgment.  So here's the thing.  You may have heard it.  A true story about the violinist in Metro.

(I'll shorten it a bit)

A man stood in the lobby area of the metro station in Washington DC and started to play the violin.  It was a cold January morning.  He played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes.  During that time (rush hour) it was calculated that thousands of people went through the station, most of them on their way to work.  After three minutes a middle aged man slowed his pace to listen then hurried off.  A minute later, the violinist received a dollar tip from a woman who threw the money in the till and continued walking.

A few minutes later someone leaned against the wall to listen, then the man looked at his watch and began to walk again.  The one who paid the most attention was a three year old boy whose mother pulled him along but the boy stopped to look at the violinist.  The mother pushed him along but he continued turning his head back all the time.  The action was repeated by several children.  All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on. 

In the 45 minutes the musician played only 6 people actually stopped and stayed for a while.  Twenty seven people gave him money but continued to walk.  He collected $32.  When he was finished, no one applauded, no one noticed.

No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the finest classical musicians in the world.  He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written on a violin worth $3.5 million.  Two days before this performance in the subway, he had sold out at Symphony Hall in Boston where the seat price averaged $100.

Organized by the Washington Post as part of social experiment about perception, taste and priorities in people, the outline was:  In a banal setting, at an inconvenient time, would beauty transcend? 

Apparently, there are many out there who think not.

6. Jaggedfrost profile image60

This, unfortunately is true, and it is folly in me to have tried to argue my own virtue in the face of having to admit that this site pulls thousands in a world that holds billions.  Most live in perpetual banality.  We who are imaginativeness and sensitives often have to grow in the cracks in  the pavement, being stepped on and trodden down a few times until we forgive those... hmm maybe I should hehe... Come and see me when I am done.

lol  Wow.  And the jagged frost slowly melted under the warmth of its own love.  We could all take a lesson.

7. Jaggedfrost profile image60

lol not melted dear,
    but not waisting a good thought
    when another format
    forum of thought would give it more air and room to breath,
    a hub gave it more and better crystalline form
    but of what I know of heat
    in a way you are right too
    the incidental frost of my analytical argument
    did liquefy briefly to take its present form.

yes, I think.  still love your handle.

8. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I would say 'no'.. since my beauty has yet to be acknowledged here

9. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 13 years ago

Ahh...I love finding beauty around me and am tickled thinking that I'm the only one tongue ego probably but all jesting aside. Yes, I will leave well ahead of time for a scheduled app't just so I can enjoy and observe my surroundings during my travel time. It's something I also teach my sons to practice since life isn't a forever thing. smile

10. hillrider profile image61
    hillriderposted 13 years ago

like a snowman smiling sadly, sweating in the mid-day sun

enjoyed this thread, and smiled again at the irony of the ticket price, I had heard the story, yet the reminder will help me remain grounded

11. megs11237 profile image62
    megs11237posted 13 years ago

Beauty is the eye of the beholder. So maybe depending who is in the situation and how they are looking at it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)